Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on

Started by ajasfolks2, February 03, 2013, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

YouKnowWho

Quote from: Janelle205 on October 02, 2014, 04:59:49 PM
That is absolutely ok with me, links.  Thanks for asking!

I did send an email to the company - will see if I get a response.

I appreciate that Enjoy Life labels their products as 'allergy friendly', since a good portion of them are not at all allergen free to me.

If I remember correctly, Enjoy Life used to label as Allergy Free until someone had a reaction to one of their ingredients (not one of the top 8 Enjoy Life avoids).  Since then it has been changed to allergen friendly.

Kinda like make-up being labeled as hypoallergenic - doesn't mean you can't react to it, just means you and the majority of the public won't react to it (I am sadly part of the minority in many cases).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Janelle205

I thought I remembered that Enjoy Life used to have an 'allergy free' label, but wasn't sure.  Either way, I am happy with the way it is now.

I will not be buying anything from the company that I contacted (because, umm...apple flour), but since they see the food allergy community as part of their consumer base, I appreciate that they will hopefully change.

LinksEtc

We were at a dinner party tonight.  Right after dd ate some salad that had some shrimp on top (I removed the shrimp so she didn't actually eat them) ... she had some mouth itching that was worse than the mild maybe-OAS symptoms that she was having.  I didn't see other symptoms.

Her IgE was negative for shrimp ... but her IgE was negative to sesame for a long time ... I wish we had done an SPT.  I guess I should let the allergist know ... I'm wondering if she'd be ok with me rubbing a little on her skin to see if anything happens ... have you guys ever done that?

Macabre

Only with makeup.

I do know shrimp naturally has antihistamines. It could be that, but you want to know of course. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Macabre

Tonight DS had a very fine performance. Several folks from our church came to see the  show. One family brought DS cookies da stage gift "since guys don't do flowers⋅"). What I didn't say is that DS would have loved flowers).

This is a new family at church. I was completely honest about why DS couldn't have them--ands apologized profusely. She had baked just for him.

I feel bad, but I thought I should be honest.

Stupid food allergies. 

GingerPye

oh, that's so hard when someone prepares food just for that person only, without the knowledge of the food allergies.  Urgh.  Such a nice gesture, and then you have to say no, thanks.  Difficult.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

becca

dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

YouKnowWho

We have had several people offer to bring us food in the upcoming days (though honestly, we are set thanks to leftovers in the freezer).  It was a weird feeling that I knew three of them could do it safely given their avoidances, Celiac, allergies and such. 

We had a meal train when Connor was born and a smaller one when Em was born but the allergic folks had to avoid.  Everyone could have eaten this time around. 

Though I think in the back of my head, I said no because I am still too nervous, kwim?  Though the allergic folks in the house get a forgiven opt out if they are not comfortable with others food.  This is not something that is generally allowed if I cook.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Macabre

Yeah, it's hard. Church folks have traditionally brought us food during times like this (or when I had pneumonia or the flu--thiugh that's funny since DH is far more capable than I in the kitchen).  I usually try to discourage. But sometimes people just bring stuff by. If it's safe to be in the house and won't contaminate then I wilm accept it and DH will eat it--or we throw it away. But I write a thank you note. And I've had DS write thank you notes even when he has to throw something away. :-/

LinksEtc

This may be a case where I'm unnecessarily worrying ... I'm hesitant to let dd go on amusement rides that might scare her & give her an asthma attack & then we'd be stuck on a ride where I might not be able to give her meds.  I only remember 1 time she seemed to get an asthma attack from being scared (as a toddler).  Two former pulmos told me not to hold her back, to let her go on ... I will ask her current pulmo at the next appointment.  She's been fine with the kid coasters & other rides so far ... she wants to try other rides as her 3rd grade height will allow.

I love rollercoasters ... it'd be nice to eventually have an adventurous family member willing to go on with me.

Janelle205

PurpleCat

My suggestion too. 

My DD gets asthma attacks at or after  sleepovers and parties.  Too much laughing triggers it!  So we pre-treat before she goes and she is fine after.

LinksEtc

Yes, this might be a good idea ... I'll see what the doc says.  They've had me pretreat before ... like before her scopes.

Janelle205

I'd definitely ask - it probably wouldn't be a horrible idea anyway - I've been to amusement parks where there are fog machines around the coasters as well, and I definitely have to pretreat.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview