Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on

Started by ajasfolks2, February 03, 2013, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinturbo

yelloww

Ds tried to go to basketball practice last week without his Epi. He said "well, they won't be eating there, it isn't a big deal".  :dunce:

[spoiler]Needless to say, I might have completely lost it in our driveway.  :misspeak: Explained that that's what all of the KIDS WHO DIED said too when they forgot their Epi's and went out without them!  :-/

And then I made the very clear statement that if you leave our house, you have it with you. Period. End of discussion.

I can't believe we are finally at the teen mentality here. Ugh!!!! I kind of went through the "As long as are on this here green earth of ours, you will carry that Epi (Auvi) with you" mandate in the driveway. I'm sure I'm going to have to start doing more reminders about this in the next few years.

The bluntness of it hit home with ds, that's for sure. I just don't like that I had to go there with it about the deaths though.  :-/

[/spoiler]

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Macabre

yellow, DS had a reaction in elementary school during PE. Best we can tell it was accidental ingestion after picking up protein off of a hockey stick--and then having a snack before washing or wiping his hands.

[spoiler]We had a period last year when I showed DS a seven page document with pictures and news stories of teens who died recently.  I hated to do it, but I had to. I had him initial and date that he read it--though he did it in the car with me. He was crying by the end. But it had to be done. I also had DH read it. It was an exhausting work of love to put together.  And I can send it to anyone who wants it.[/spoiler]
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

PurpleCat

I've share many stories like these with DD. 

It was quite a moment when she came home and told me one that had not been in the news yet.....next town over......girl very close to her age and she knew some of the girl's friends.  We learned the real story of the incident, not what was in the news. 

That made a big impact.

YouKnowWho

Oblivious DS2 just contaminated the butter (no biggie) and the jelly.  Ugh, as in $10/jar almost impossible to find blueberry spread ala D'Arbo.  (And yes, there are other brands of blueberry jam but none taste as good as D'Arbo).

Remind me never to shower again.  It is just problematic.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

PurpleCat

So sorry YKW.  I have a masking tape sign on each jar of jelly with DD's name on it or for real sarcasm, a drawing of a spoon to remind DH not to spread his toast with Sunbutter and then stick the knife in the jelly!!!!

YouKnowWho

We are strict spoon in the jelly only folks due to everyone needing to use a different bread. 

I am honestly so mad about it that I am contemplating making DS2 pay to replace the jelly.  Any other jelly, I would not have cared.  This particular one made me upset because it is so hard to come by and so expensive.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Janelle205

After several incidents where DH contaminated some kind of spread (PB, jam, etc.) at our house, the special for me stuff now has "Don't be a Dumbass - use a clean spoon" written on them in sharpie.  Probably not so appropriate for everyone.

CMdeux

Oh, I dunno... that seems like good advice just in more general terms, really...   :misspeak:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Janelle205

To give me some credit, I did try nicer labeling first.  This works.

BensMom

We don't get fancy jelly. Welch's in the sqeeze container. Solves those problems.

LinksEtc

I love this title:

Standardization of Oral Food Challenges: How Golden is the Gold Standard?

https://aaaai.confex.com/aaaai/2014/webprogram/Session3370.html
Monday, March 3, 2014: 4:45 PM-6:00 PM
Ballroom 6DE (Convention Center)
1.25 CME/ 1.50 CE
Moderator:
Scott H. Sicherer , MD FAAAAI

yelloww

The other week, we were behind a car here with univeristy stickers on it. The one was Columbia (expensive smart school) and their second sticker was Johns Hopkins. I said to ds, that those people had some smart kids who were probably costing them a lot in tuition.

Ds allergist is at Hopkins.

He said to me: "my friends want to go to Hopkins, but for lacrosse. They don't even know that it is a smart science school- just a lacrosse school. A little piece of my soul died when they said that! "

I was cracking up because I always think of Hopkins as a research university and completely forget snout their lacrosse program. He was so disappointed in his friends for not knowing the science part.

twinturbo

Quote from: LinksEtc on January 19, 2014, 07:25:52 AM
I love this title:

Standardization of Oral Food Challenges: How Golden is the Gold Standard?

https://aaaai.confex.com/aaaai/2014/webprogram/Session3370.html
Monday, March 3, 2014: 4:45 PM-6:00 PM
Ballroom 6DE (Convention Center)
1.25 CME/ 1.50 CE
Moderator:
Scott H. Sicherer , MD FAAAAI

Clearly you are Jedi master, no mere knight. Cross my fingers mine is going. Put our two docs back together in person after records transfer.

I wonder if Sicherer came up with the title. I also wonder if DH can attend since it's close to us.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview