Please define "Peanut Free"

Started by ajasfolks2, February 04, 2013, 02:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajasfolks2

Please define "Peanut Free" as you would like it to be applied to the AMOUNT of peanut in a particular food.

And then how would you propose to evaluate/ test and enforce this definition?

Other thoughts?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

ajasfolks2

How do you believe the (US) FDA defines "peanut free"?  (Or the equivalent admin body if you are in Canada?)

How does any one manufacturer define "peanut free"?  Have you asked that specifically when calling on a product as to ingredient info?

What tested ppm of peanut (undeclared) would trigger a recall by the FDA? Do you know?

ajasfolks2

ajasfolks2

Mfamom

Well, I'm pretty tired of small business bakers (moms in town) selling crap labeled "peanut free" "gluten free" etc.  when I know the kitchen isn't a pn or otherwise "free" kitchen. 
I think that there needs to be rules about what can have a "free" label or statement. 
I posted about a lady in town who makes fancy cakes, cookies etc at her house, sells them to people in town.  she's been very pushy with her "i can make "free" from"  I called her out on it and she was pretty obtuse with me.  Now, there has been a problem with the elem. school because non allergy moms are ordering with her and bringing stuff into school calling it "free". 

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

booandbrimom

I think there are a couple of ways to think about this.

One way is to certify the manufacturing chain. This is done in the medical industry for things like latex. Each manufacturer, even of the smallest component parts, has to sign off on whether latex is used in the manufacturer of a part/product. By extension, if the supply chain were peanut-free, then the resulting food would be peanut-free.

That's obviously very hard.

Which is why I favor the post-production quantitative test approach, rather than trying to declare things peanut free and then having cross-contact or an unvetted supplier screw things up. I don't want to quantify a number as safe...I just want to see the number.

I think the minimum number will be dependent on the sensitivity of commercially-available testing methods...but requiring products to report any peanut content >1 mg peanut would work for most people. Reporting out the actual numbers gives more information than creating some new Goldilocks scheme of "no peanut", "lots of peanut", "medium peanut" or something like that. Just give the numbers.

I would be happy to visit mfr. web sites for the information. I don't need it on the product. I understand it's a one-time batch assessment. However, if I look at a product like Tofutti Cuties and see milk protein coming up, in any amount, over and over, then I would have a much better idea that the items were run on a shared line. Yes, some manufacturers would game the system, but nothing is perfect.
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

CMdeux

I haven't read any replies, but my personal version of "______ free" is about handling and processing.

This is a supply chain issue, though, in practical terms.

But it CAN be done-- and is done, in fact, in a lot of other applications.  Basically every input stream, every packaging/processing step, SOMEBODY initials/signs off on the processing and certifies whether or not it was made with (or shared a line with?) the allergen.

I realize that standard is way more stringent than 99% of allergic people need, but it's the only thing in my mind that really meets that standard of being "allergen free."  Why?  Because it becomes nearly impossible to have a one-time catastrophic cross-contamination problem, that's why. 

Now, am I in favor of measurements taking the place of advisories?  Oh, HELL YES.  But I'm NOT in favor of measurements taking the place of "peanut free" on a label.

I don't see "<LOD" as ever being = "allergen free" there.  But I can sure see how industry LOVES to make leaps like that one.

ETA: how funny-- boo and I are thinking about this the exact same way, just coming at it from slightly different perspectives.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

lakeswimr

I think I am thinking like you, CM.

I don't ever think in terms of 'peanut free', though, since we are MFA including peanut.  Peanut free by itself does very little for us.  Just cross out one of many barriers. 

I'm not looking for x, y, z-free.  We have that already with companies like ELF.  I can't expect to have a huge range of products with that level of allergen-freeness.  For out allergy set that isn't realistic.

What I want is to know whether there is a good chance that a given food is free from xcontam during processing and packaging.  (Yes, there are also issues that can come during storage and even before that.  AFAIK so far those haven't caused DS any issues.)  I want access to that info.  I want to see an increase in companies like turtle mountain or even Campbells soup that told me certain soups are run on their own lines because they are so popular.  Their less high selling soups are on lines that get switched to make other types of soups so have a higher chance of xcontam.  I really appreciate that type of info from any company.  I want whatever will help get MORE info of that sort, not less. 

So, peanut-free or not is not my issue.  Access to information is. 

I can't just quickly check a manufacturer's website.  That isn't ever going to be my reality.  I need to be able to talk to people or email and get good, detailed info. 

They are not ever going to tract all my son's allergens by tests.  He has several that are very, very rare (and yes, he had for sure ana to them!)  So, given that no test is going to tell me a product is safe for him to eat. 

I'm guessing the FDA defines peanut-free the way Kraft does--good cleaning processes used and only using a warning label if they can't clean residue.  They would define it as very, very unlikely to cause a reaction I am guessing from my experience talking with them. 

I have no idea about Canada.

I do not know what tested amount would trigger a recall from the FDA.  I haven't clicked on your links.  Do you have the answer to this?

SilverLining

Quote from: ajasfolks2 on February 04, 2013, 03:04:01 PM
How do you believe the (US) FDA defines "peanut free"?  (Or the equivalent admin body if you are in Canada?)

last I remember hearing.....CFIA didn't define it.  So, I decided to check.

I found the page re "Negative Claims"

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/labeti/instnege.shtml

A "negative claim" is a statement about:
the absence of a particular ingredient, substance or class of substances in a food because the substance is not inherent to the food;
a substance that is not present in the food either through direct addition or through carry-over; or
a substance that has been removed from the final food.
Claims to the effect that a food does not contain an ingredient or substance must be factual and not misleading as required by subsection 5(1) of the Food and Drugs Act and section 7 of the Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act.

Generally, a negative statement pertaining to the absence or non-addition of a substance to a food is acceptable under the following conditions.

Examples of Negative Claims include:
No Preservative Claims
No Preservative Claims for Multi-Functional Additives
Decisions: "No Preservatives Added" Claim when Liquid Smoke Used
No Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) Claims
Decisions: "Non Dairy" or "Dairy-free" claims
Decisions: "Lactose Free" Claims
Decisions: Lactose-Free Ice Cream
Gluten-Free Claims
Decisions: "No Salt Added" Claim and a Significant Contribution of Salt via an Ingredient
No Added Sugars
Decisions: Decharacterized Juice and "No Sugar Added" Claim
Decisions: Non-Cariogenic Substances

Date Modified: 2012-06-21 
Top of Page Important Notices

Sorry, the formatting didn't copy.

Salt, sugar, dairy, preservatives.  Nothing about allergens.

ajasfolks2

Quote from: lakeswimr on February 04, 2013, 08:30:15 PM
I do not know what tested amount would trigger a recall from the FDA.  I haven't clicked on your links.  Do you have the answer to this?

I don't have the answer -- (IS there an answer?) -- may be buried in some of the links -- I had assumed the trigger level would be different for each allergen based on science and accepted/set level by FDA in agreement with food industry?  Not sure how "negotiated" those rules and regs are . . .

Have had trouble finding "the" answer quickly as many/most of the hits I'm getting bring up the peanut butter recalls (for contaminants) and not the answer I'm delving for.

Might also be buried in one of boo's links in other related thread (the FARE survey thread) . . .

ajasfolks2

candyguru

I define peanut-free to be the policies that company's such as Chapmans ice cream, Nestle chocolate, Mars bars etc use.

For example, from the Chapmans web site:

At Chapman's Ice Cream, we are very aware of the increase in the food based allergic reactions, especially to peanut and nut base products, so we've made it our goal to put the "Peanut/Nut Free" symbol on many of our products. All new employees, as well as any contractors that may be working in the plant, are educated and made aware of our nut free environment. Lunchrooms are nut free and our lab technicians are ever vigilant to identify and control risks. Every batch used on our nut free lines is tested and all finished product is tested for traces of peanut protein prior to its release. In 2003, Chapman's was recognized by Anaphylaxis Canada for our "red flag" labeling on Peanut/Nut Free ice cream and novelties. Chapman's was awarded the "Susan Daglish Award" for their leadership and commitment to anaphylaxis safety and helping people to live with deadly allergies. Not all of our products are "Peanut/Nut Free" so look for the red flag to be sure.

http://www.chapmans.com/nutrition.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview