USDA

Started by ajasfolks2, February 05, 2013, 04:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajasfolks2

http://blogs.usda.gov/2012/10/01/ask-a-school-meals-expert-how-are-schools-helping-students-adjust-to-the-new-school-meals/

Thought a dedicated USDA thread might be good too -- not as to the USDA form for LTFA student, but for other possibly related to food allergy & school.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Macabre

This may be a good place to post that really helpful USDA doc.  I'll look for it tomorrow.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

LinksEtc

(Outdated post)

twinturbo

I absolutely must find the link later, must, but I saw an article regarding the USDA setting a limit on extraneous calories in school settings to 150 per some time allotment I fail to recall at the moment, But, you all are gonna LOVE this, it was limited to preserve the traditions of in class birthday treats, food based celebrations, and other extra curricular activities using food. Clearly that'll address those extra calories!!! Granted I'm a latchkey kid from NYC, Southie (Boston), and NJ public schools but when did this grand tradition start? We got detention for any food outside the cafeteria.

ajasfolks2

twinturbo, I know we're heading off topic with this, but wanna say as to "when did this tradition start" --

some of us have discussed in the past and it has to be a 70s thing.  Most of us recalled little-to-none of that "it's my birthday and I'll cupcake if I want to" crap when we were in elementary school in the 1960s and early 1970s.

However, it may vary by region in the USA.

In Nevada, there was next-to-none of that crap for birthdays:  we went to each other's bday parties AFTER school or on weekends.  Formal, written invitations were received, RSVPd, and the simple, appropriate party enjoyed OFF SCHOOL TIME.  Closest friends were invited (ONLY), children arrived on time and left on time, there might have been a single party favor (not a loot bag).  Thank yous were handwritten and sent promptly.

If it all sounds a bit "Leave it to Beaver"ish, well

IT WAS.

And it was appropriate, right-sized and NOT AT SCHOOL.

Whew.

Clearly I'm a bit passionate about this topic.   ;D
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

MarkiesMom

twinturbo:

This month the USDA proposed a new "smart snacks in school" standard for any foods sold during school hours.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/pressrelease/2013/001913

http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5118/p/salsa/web/common/public/content?content_item_KEY=10805

It would not impact after school fundraisers or school parties, but would place nutritional limits on all foods sold in the cafeteria and anytime/anywhere else during the school day by vending, school stores, PTA, etc.
DD (11) NKFA
DS (9) TNA (h/o ana to pistachio/cashew), asthma, dogs

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview