Books to educate kids w/o FA about FA

Started by Irene, March 13, 2013, 07:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irene

Hi,
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm looking for story books that will explain food allergies to kids without food allergies.  I want my nieces to have some understanding of my son's FA so they can help keep him (their cousin) safe by not bringing nutty snacks into my parents' home while we are visiting/staying for 2 weeks.  The Alexander books are a little too simple, I think, and they seem more geared toward kids with FA.
Thanks,
Irene

ajasfolks2

My kids are a good bit older now (as are their cousins) but I'd suggest looking at the FARE website for some of their "for kids" teaching material.  You will know that there is fairly high degree of accuracy in the material and that the terms/verbiage will have been pretty well vetted at this point.  (FARE is the former FAAN + FAI)

Here is one link to their brand new website, which I've not had time to fully explore:

http://www.foodallergy.org/resources/kids?

I know there is a "No Biggie Bunch" line of books that might work for you, but I've honestly not laid eyes or hands on one yet.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Asilia Dinkins

New Children's Book Combines Entertaining Story with Food Allergy Awareness
Asilia Dinkins Debuts with "I Have Allergies, You See"
WASHINGTON, D.C., April 30, 2014 – In her new children's picture storybook, "I Have Allergies, You See", Asilia Dinkins uses a wonderful cadence to help teach children about the symptoms of an allergic reaction and what critical steps to take in order to prevent serious health consequences.
"I Have Allergies, You see, Nuts, seafood and dairy do not agree with me." is young Sara's story.  Sara talks with her mother about her well-being and the foods that are not safe for her to eat.  She creates a rhyme to help educate the people around her.  Her knowledge of her allergies and openness to talk about it helps to keep her safe. 

"I Have Allergies, You See", is available on Amazon and iTunes Bookstore. 

spacecanada

I've used this one several times and the kids really enjoy it:
"The Princess and the Peanut" by Sue Ganz-Schmitt
http://www.royallyallergic.com/
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview