FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 12 year old girl dies from allergic reaction  (Read 2492 times)

Description: Rainbows for Maia

Offline SilverLining

12 year old girl dies from allergic reaction
« on: March 16, 2013, 08:40:24 PM »

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/03/15/family-grieving-after-girl-12-dies-from-allergic-reaction/

A family is mourning and a community is in shock after a 12-year-old girl collapsed at a Burlington mall this week and died from what doctors say was a severe allergic reaction.

Maia Santarelli-Gallo was having ice cream with her father and older sister at Mapleview Centre on Thursday afternoon when she went into anaphylactic shock.

“We were eating ice cream. We go walk around. She tells me she doesn’t feel good,” her older sister Zoe said. “We went to the bathroom and the next thing I know is she needs her inhaler and there’s someone in the mall giving her CPR.”

Maia was given an EpiPen and was rushed by paramedics to Joseph Brant Hospital without vital signs and was later pronounced dead.

It’s still unclear what the Grade 7 student was allergic to. She wasn’t allergic to peanuts and other nuts like her sister Zoe, but she was allergic to various foods.

A visitation will be held for Maia on Sunday with a funeral service planned for Monday in Stoney Creek.

EDITED: Subject
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:03:11 AM by SilverLining »

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
Re: Rainbows for Maia
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 11:12:31 PM »

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 09:37:48 AM »
That's the one that eats at me.  I did post a different link in the Memorial thread.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 09:58:24 AM »
That's heartbreaking.  And sadly, that's what I worry about with the teenager I talked with a few days ago and told me of her milk allergy.  Her doctor doesn't believe she could be reacting to milk and doesn't think she needs epi pens or to see an allergist.  I pushed her to get both epis and an appointment with another doctor who will believe her.  I know another girl who told me she had a peanut allergy but her emergency plan was just benadryl.  A few years later I saw her again and she had epis and was very careful.  In between the two times i saw her she almost died so she got a new allergist and correct information. 

I can't even take this in.  I have an emotional wall up between me and these tragedies because I can't take feeling it.  I'm very sad for all the families and friends and all involved.  I hope these deaths can be prevented by better information getting to people who have FAs. 

Offline SilverLining