Emergency Food Supply 2013

Started by ajasfolks2, March 21, 2013, 10:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajasfolks2

Please help update for current POSSIBLE (you must verify yourself, please!) sources for shelf-stable foods that are acceptable for PN/TN and also those that are Top-8 free (one, some, combo, all).

When you post, if you would state which allergens you must avoid that would help as well.

Additionally, anyone having to ALSO manage diabetes with LTFA and how to deconflict, that would be great as well.

Thanks!

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

EmilyAnn

Thank you for this! We are not serious "preppers" or anything like that, but we do have a 72 hour kit of emergency food and supplies. Since my son was just diagnosed with a PN/TN allergy a few weeks ago I had not even thought about checking that food and making sure it is safe for him.
Mommy to David age 5 1/2 allergic to cats, dogs, pollen, dust, mold, peanuts, tree nuts, beans, and peas and suffering from severe eczema and 3 other little boys with no know allergies

CMdeux

Enjoy Life sunbutter crunch and cocoa loco bars-- top8 free, would need to check on sesame.

These are okay from a diabetes standpoint, but not 'awesome' as they are pretty high in carbs relative to protein and fiber.

We also use powdered vitamin water flavorings (would need to check on brands... can't think what they are right now and they are packed, so I can't check.  Sorry.)

Just Tomatoes-- there may be some soy risk, but you'd need to call and check.  VERY lightweight, shelf-stable lyophilized fruits, veggies, and soybeans (for those who are vegetarian or need shelf-stable safe protein source).

Safeway brand instant oatmeal packets--  check labels and call on specific allergens, but we use them and we're SFA, peanut, treenut, egg allergic.  These are also calcium fortified, which is a pretty big deal for shelf-stable foods.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

ajasfolks2

Does anyone have any go-to soups that might work for these situations -- not just PN/TN, but dairy/egg too?  I'm wondering if trying to get soy free in soups is impossible?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Macabre

We keep some Progresso vegetarian soups with a pull tab in the lock-down food stash at school. He is PA only.

I had to pack a Saturday lunch for him recently for an overnight Friday to Saturday school trip. Friday's meals were easy to pack, but Saturday lunch--ugh. I packed some a Campbell's tomato Soup on the Go. At his school he has a microwave, but I didn't know what the school he was going to would have. You don't have to heat it up. It's better, but you don't have to. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview