imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself - We're Glad You Found Us!  (Read 161454 times)

Description:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Re: Introduce Yourself - We're Glad You Found Us!
« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2012, 01:50:31 PM »
Hello and welcome to all of our newbies and returnees!

Wondering if we should split out the questions about travel?  Or best to leave here so newbie can find?
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline catsliva

« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »
Hi my name is Catherine, I am 18 years old and I have been living with peanut allergies my entire life. I thought it would be nice to be able to have the chance to talk to other people that share the same allergies that I have and how they have affected their lifestyles.

Offline Ketti

Hi all!
« Reply #152 on: October 01, 2012, 10:06:05 PM »
 :thumbsup:

What a relief to find this forum!  I have been struggling with adult onset allergies (anaphylaxis and all) for the past several months. 

Best,
Ketti
Basically every indoor and outdoor allergen possible. 
Foods: Peanuts, apple, pineapple, melons, strawberries, parmesan, blue cheese.

Online rebekahc

« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2012, 08:32:41 AM »
So glad you found us, but sorry you had to!  There are several active members with adult-onset food allergies to commiserate with you!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline pa5075

« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2012, 07:01:52 AM »
My doctor ran the Maridian Valley E95 Basic Food Panel which shows that I have a severe reaction to egg,dairy, gluten, peanut etc.  I am overwhelmed and do not know what steps I should do now.  I have had gas, bloating, fatigue, muscle aches, constipation/diarrhea, stomach pain,headaches.  I have had my gallbladder removed and have had recurring accute pancreatitis in the past.  Where do I go from here?  I went to my general doc...he gave me vicaden and blew me off.  I have been going to an internal medicine doctor who is associated with a homeopathic doc.  I have been seeing both.  He just ran the E95 and sent me the test results in the mail. I have an appointment scheduled in three weeks.  What is the appropriate path from here?
thanks

Online rebekahc

« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2012, 08:31:38 AM »
Unfortunately, that test is not a good indicator of true allergies. If you believe you have allergies, you really should see a board certified allergist with experience in food (not just environmental) allergies.  Since many of your symptoms are digestive in nature, it might not be a bad idea to see a GI doc to rule out a GI disorder as the possible cause for your symptoms as well. 

It would be terribly difficult to remove all those things from your diet and not the best choice nutritionally if you don't really need to do so.  The symptoms you describe are not typical of true food allergies. I do think your symptoms are pretty common and difficult to pin on any diagnosis, so some doctors grasp at straws and run tests that suggest "allergies" are the culprit. I sometimes think they do so just to give their patient something to focus on - avoiding that many foods while still eating a complete and healthy diet is pretty demanding and requires a lot of attention.  Some people also have food intolerances and through a process of elimination and reintroduction of foods can find that avoiding certain triggers does help some of their symptoms.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!

Offline pa5075

« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2012, 09:20:45 AM »
Thank you for your advice.  I have been to the GI docs.  Can you tell how I locate a Board Certified Allergist in my area that specializes in food allergies?

Online rebekahc

« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2012, 09:41:18 AM »
To locate an allergist, other than word-of-mouth, you could call a few and ask about their experience in diagnosing/treating food allergy or use the physician finder from http://aaaai.execinc.com/find-an-allergist/.  I don't know that even they list whether an allergist specializes in food allergies, but you could read the bios and somewhat narrow it down before you call.
TX - USA

Offline loveshenryjames

« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »
I am new to this. I am honestly not even sure if I am posting in the correct field. haha I am a momma of a 8 month old baby boy and we recently had our first trip to an er, pediatrician, then allergist to discover that our little man has SEVERE milk, egg, and peanut allergies. I am just looking for people in the same boat and suggestions. It is manageable right now because my monkey is still on formula (nutramigen) and baby foods. I am just worried for when he hits a year trying to manage his/our diet.

Offline sarahj

« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2012, 02:51:18 AM »
Hi, Ive just found this page through 'sulphite Free in Indy blog' as I have a severe allergy to Sulphites... im looking for more information and help! If anyone can point me in the right direction Id be very grateful indeed.
I have found out so much my self by self-diagnosing and have some very useful infomation regarding what not to eat etc but I need some hope!
Many thanks Sarah UK :bye:

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2012, 08:25:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

loveshenryjames, be sure to check out the specific allergy area of the forum, as well as the main area.  Christmas is coming, and family gatherings always include food.  You may find you want some help/suggestions from other parents who have been through holidays with children with food allergies.

sarahj, we have a part of the forum for sulphite allergies.  It's not been very active since we moved here, but this thread Unexpected Sources of Sulfites does list some things to avoid with that allergy.

Offline EmmaWeimer

« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »
Hello all, I joined this forum in hopes of helping a friend who is popping up with so many allergies that she is afraid to eat. we go to the grocery store and can't find much of anything. She is allergic to corn, soy, wheat, latex, tree nuts, some fruits and vegetables. As I said the list is growing, she has yet to see the allergist. She is getting a referral to the allergist but wants to eat in the meantime. Any takers??

Emma

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »
Hi Emma and Welcome!

Lots of people here can share with you. It's a holiday week so don't be discouraged if the group is quiet. 

Your friend has different allergies than my DD so I won't be much help at the moment.  There are some specific allergen threads below that might be a good place to start while you wait to hear from others.

Offline John McGillin

• New
    • Linkedin
Senior Design Project, i need your help!
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2012, 10:47:09 PM »
Hi, my name is John McGillin. I am an industrial design student at the Savannah College of Art and Design and for my Senior thesis project I am designing an EpiPen case for the active user.

An EpiPen is a small medical device shaped like a pen used to deliver doses of epinephrine (adrenaline) to people severely affected by allergies, and I'm talking about life or death situations. I myself have an allergy to poultry so severe that after contact, within 15 minutes I will be in anaphylactic shock.

This is why it's important for users to carry an EpiPen on their person at all times, at every meal. For active users that enjoy running, rock climbing, cycling and playing basketball like myself, it's a real drag to carry & properly store an Epi-pen...

My goal is to design a sleek, convenient method of carrying an EpiPen through any activity. Help me give freedom back to active users by answering 10 quick questions.

Thanks for your help!

Click this >>>>
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TGSHLVG <<<<<<
John McGillin

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2012, 05:24:56 AM »
John, you might want to start a new thread for that, or ask a mod to.
The 3 is silent.