FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Not sure what happened  (Read 2102 times)

Description: Two recent incidents

Offline notashrimpwimp

Not sure what happened
« on: April 03, 2013, 03:52:51 AM »
A few weeks ago a friend invited DF and I to Buffalo Wild Wings to hang out. I'd been before and figured out that I couldn't eat fried foods because they share a fryer with shrimp (at our local BWWs). While I still possess my "excellent" shrimp detection skills, I thought that it being a weeknight made it less likely to be crowded and assumed that most people wouldn't order shrimp at a restaurant dedicated to chicken.

Things were going well until the middle of the meal when I started to flush and felt my throat getting lumpy. I took my Benadryl and inhaler and assumed that would nip it in the bud. It didn't and I soon progressed to the hacking coughs and dizziness. I tried to stick it out but I ended up administering my Epi in the restroom.

I can't figure out if it was something I ate or if it was someone eating shrimp nearby, but suffice to say we've scratched BWWs off our list. This frustrates me as it's the place where our friends tend to gather and this just complicates it. :(

This Easter DF and I went to a family member's house. They had baked brownies with walnuts before I arrived but it had mostly dissipated by the time we started eating. I spent most of my time upstairs and away from the nuts.

As we were leaving I gave my aunt a hug and a kiss. Soon after I started to flush and feel that familiar lumpiness in my throat. I took my Benadryl and inhaler and tried to sleep it off. It turns out she had consumed brownies and I'm betting that's what caused it, as I know the reaction would have been more severe if I'd actually consumed the walnuts myself.

I don't know whether or not I should assume people have consumed allergens and avoid contact or run through my list before hugging.  :-[

Offline Jessica

Re: Not sure what happened
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 04:13:25 AM »
I'm sorry. :( I don't know what your allergens are but it sounds like they include tree nuts? I know that BWW has at least a couple of dishes with walnuts or walnut cross contamination and they told us that everything could be cross contaminated. Here is a recent thread about it:
Buffalo Wild Wings.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline notashrimpwimp

Re: Not sure what happened
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 04:53:59 AM »
:( Well that tears it. I was so happy they listed corn too! Thank you!

My shellfish and nut/peanuts are among my worst.

I ordered a flatbread thinking that it had the least risk as it didn't involve marinated/seasoned chicken.