FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Orange leaf Frozen Yogurt?  (Read 6009 times)

Description:

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Orange leaf Frozen Yogurt?
« on: April 21, 2013, 03:32:49 PM »
New one in out town, another place walkable from the Jr. High, and HS.  Website makes no guarantees, due to the fact that toppings present in the shop include peanuts and tree nuts.  "Kitchens where yogurt is prepared store peanuts and tree nuts so we cannot guarantee there will not be cross contamination."  Has anyone tried it?  I also see flavors that include butter pecan and peanut butter.  It is soft serve, so perhaps a local shop can have a dedicated vanilla or such machine. 

Anyone?
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Orange leaf Frozen Yogurt?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 06:46:05 PM »
We've eaten it.  It's set up with 2 flavors per machine so 2 can get swirled in the middle.  It is self-serve, the containers are HUGE and HUGER.  We barely fill it to the half way point and get no toppings.  At least at ours, the vanilla is not always in the same place.  We've seen PB, hazelnut, pistachio and possibly one other nutty flavor.  So DS is not allowed to have a flavor that is sharing with a nutty one. 

I do not care for the cake and brownie flavors...there is a fake/artificial aftertaste.  But I love 1/2 vanilla and 1/2 fruit.  The fruit flavors remind me of sorbet.

I just read their cya statement...it's changed since we started going.  I know that wasn't there before.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:17:24 PM »
So, do you worry about the machine if it had a nutty flavor one day and yours the next?  I suppose that is a matter of asking them how they clean it between flavor changes. 

The friend that is begging dd to go actually has a tree nut allergy and carries epi. 

Why does there always shave to be freaking peanut butter or nutty flavors in everything?!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 01:22:19 PM »
We do not do froyo places that serve PB, unless they have a dedicated spout for it, which has left us with two places DS has eaten it. One was at a gas station near Charlottesville and one is hear next to a Trader Joe's in St. Paul.

The toppings don't bother me. DS doesn't do them. No problem. But PB protein in what would otherwise be a safe froyo is not doable.

It's hard, because these are places middle school kids congregated in our former town. And there were theatre after parties there this past summer (not school-related). But I would pick up a cone at McDs for DS and take him to the froyo place and he'd hang out. The first time he didn't want to go because of his allergy, but he was soooooo happy he went.  It was a huge lesson in "having fun with friends can be more important."  But hard learned initially.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:28:04 PM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 01:25:19 PM »
Ah--just now seeing your last post.

No--I don't trust them to have cleaned the peanut protein outbid a spout.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 03:37:40 PM »
Maybe i could talk to my local shop and get them do devote one machine to the nutty and peanutty flavors...

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 11:45:59 AM »
I emailed the owner directly, today, after seeing his contact info in a local article.  here was his reply: (I have sent a follow up asking specifically about tree nut flavors as well).  If that is as careful as the PN flavors, I will let dd try this. 

"Hi Becca thanks for your interest in Orange Leaf. We do take a great deal of care in making sure our peanut butter yogurt and peanut toppings are kept separate from all of other products. Our peanut butter flavored yogurt is always kept in one machine and is never moved into a different machine. We actually have completely separate buckets that we mix any peanut butter flavored yogurt in so there is no chance that the peanut butter mixes with any other flavors. All of our utensils that we use for any peanut product are washed and sterilized separate from everything else. We are fully aware that allot of children have nut allergies and we make every effort to try and make their trip into Orange Leaf a safe and pleasurable one.

As a side note if she wanted any toppings you can just ask someone at the register and we would be happy to get the toppings right out of the box so there is no chance that any peanut toppings got mixed in. We do that regularly in out Tewksbury Store.

Hope this has answered your questions and hopefully we will see you in the store.

Thank You"

kayla

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »
I manage an Orange Leaf store in Ky.  I can assure you that the machine that the peanut butter yogurt is in has always been in that same machine, the last one on the row.  This way when we stir yogurts, clean machines, change flavors etc, and we know that the peanut butter will NEVER contaminate another yogurt.  Separate buckets, spatulas, rags, etc are used for the peanut butter and never for any other yogurt.  As far as the toppings bar goes, no one can guarantee that things will not get cross contaminated even as hard as we try.  So, we always get the toppings straight from the coolers or boxes.  No problems yet.  My grandson is deathly allergic to peanuts, carries epis, but comes in at least once a week.  Hope this helps.  Come by and see us:)

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 04:02:26 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Love seeing this.   :). I wish there was one in my town!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US