FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: When is a child ready to begin taking responsibility for anaphylaxis management?  (Read 2112 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

"When is a child ready to begin taking responsibility for anaphylaxis management?"

http://www.aaaai.org/global/latest-research-summaries/New-Research-from-JACI-In-Practice/child-ready-anaphylaxis-management.aspx

Parents and caregivers expected transfer of responsibilities to begin between ages <6-8 years for anaphylaxis recognition and between ages 6-11 years for anaphylaxis treatment, younger age ranges than chosen by pediatric allergists.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Wow-- timely thread.

This is related to the one in main right now.

I think that they key term here is "begin."

I do not expect even my nearly 14yo DD to take "most" of the responsibility for her management.  Anaphylaxis recognition, we're probably at about 90%, there-- and that transition began at about 4-6yo.  I think that is VERY highly individual, though-- DD was ready far younger than many of her peers would have been.  Part of this is a matter of experience with reactions-- something that I think none of us really wants our kids to have.   :-/

She also began self-carrying at <3yo, and is pretty much 100% responsible for her epipens, inhaler, and medic-alert bracelet(s) at this point.  I'd say she's been there for about three years, with only the occasional error.

She cannot self-administer reliably; usually by the time it is clear that epinephrine is needed, she is far too incapacitated.  I hope that someday she will be able to get that one to about 80%, but given the nature of her reactions since she was about 6yo, I don't think it will ever be much higher than that.  That's an ongoing worry. 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
"When is a child ready to begin taking responsibility for anaphylaxis management?"

http://www.aaaai.org/global/latest-research-summaries/New-Research-from-JACI-In-Practice/child-ready-anaphylaxis-management.aspx

Parents and caregivers expected transfer of responsibilities to begin between ages <6-8 years for anaphylaxis recognition and between ages 6-11 years for anaphylaxis treatment, younger age ranges than chosen by pediatric allergists.

Hmm... age 6 - coincides with beginning school.  It may be that because many schools are so lacking in allergy knowledge and combative toward accommodations and school taking responsibility, parents don't have a choice but to transfer responsibilities earlier than pediatric allergists would suggest.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.