FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Airtran policy?  (Read 4044 times)

Description:

Offline brownie

Airtran policy?
« on: May 03, 2013, 01:17:13 PM »
We are flying on Airtran in 2 weeks.  I am wondering what their policy is and if I should call or what I should ask/tell them. Thanks!
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Airtran policy?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »
Many moons ago, they were peanut free and may contains only.

Now they are partnered with SouthWest.

I would definitely call and report back.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline brownie

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 05:04:14 PM »
OK I called...I had to call the customer service number which was difficult to locate.

They noted it on the reservation.  We let them know at the gate and they will allow us to board first to wipe down.  Our flight out is super early, so I am not nearly as concerned.  Our flight back approaches dinner time but at least we're coming home. 

I did not bother to ask if they serve peanuts because it's a moot point now.  We have had our reservations for months.  Our options were limits.  We always did USAir but there are no longer direct flights from here.
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 07:00:05 AM »
I only found out by accident about the Southwest plane sharing because I was attempting to book a flight for myself from Atlanta to Newark the other day.  Delta wanted $700+ so I thought I would check out Airtran - most of the flights said they were operated by Southwest.

I do live under a rock obviously.  We never fly as a family and I have flown one solo flight since I have been married on Airtran.  I giggled when I asked about their policy regarding peanuts and she said "Oh no, people are deathly allergic to them" like I didn't know that LOL

I'm guessing that has changed.  Airtran may still be peanut free but that goes out the window if you end up on a Southwest flight.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 09:53:05 AM »
We fly Delta exclusively because they will not serve nuts and a couple times,have made announcements that someone had a nut allergy on board. They do let us preboard to wipe seats.

Southwest is awful. When I first needed to fly, I called to get their policy,and the rep was super rude about it.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »
We need to book a flight to Orlando, and AirTran is an option.  Brownie, if you can post what you learned on your flight, it would be appreciated.

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 11:19:11 PM »
OK I called...I had to call the customer service number which was difficult to locate.

They noted it on the reservation.  We let them know at the gate and they will allow us to board first to wipe down.  Our flight out is super early, so I am not nearly as concerned.  Our flight back approaches dinner time but at least we're coming home. 

I did not bother to ask if they serve peanuts because it's a moot point now.  We have had our reservations for months.  Our options were limits.  We always did USAir but there are no longer direct flights from here.

My recommendation based upon our recent experiences with THREE different airlines is that you had better notify the FLIGHT CREW yourselves, too.  None of ours was aware until we actually... were on-board the aircraft.  In two instances, until we were IN FLIGHT, when we, um... mentioned it.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:20:43 AM »
Look closely when booking your AirTran flight - they were clear on the booking page about which ones were being serviced by AirTran and which ones were being serviced by SouthWest.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA