FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: When allergy policy works - it's great!  (Read 3260 times)

Description: Sharing to show that things can be well done!

Offline PurpleCat

When allergy policy works - it's great!
« on: May 20, 2013, 02:36:40 PM »
I don't post much in this section.  I'm lucky to be in a school district that "gets it" and have always been supported.

At the end of last week and again today I was contacted by 2 of DD's Middle School teachers.

The first was the math teacher who let me know that during the first week of June they would be doing an egg drop project.  He had a list of precautions they will be taking to keep DD safe but allow her to fully participate.  I had nothing to add.  It was well thought out!

Now the science teacher will be starting a finger printing lab later this week and she sent me the specification of the ink they will use and for dusting powder, she researched and chose to get with my approval a new container of Hershey's cocoa.  Again....work done ahead by the teacher, just sharing the information with me ahead of time to ask what else needed to be done.

So nice not to have to react!  So nice to simply read an email, look at attached links, and make a good reply.

So nice that these adults in my DD's daily life take her allergies seriously and that they want her to participate - fully.

We are blessed......I know.....I just want those of you who are new to know that there are districts where students with allergies are treated well. 

Mine was not always this good.....and I was one of the parents who created a policy for our district.......and all these years later - it continues to go this well!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: When allergy policy works - it's great!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 05:36:26 PM »
So nice that these adults in my DD's daily life take her allergies seriously and that they want her to participate - fully.

That is nice.

It's also good to remember that there ARE actually people in the word who are decent and helpful-- not arrogant and nasty.   :yes:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline hopechap

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 11:03:40 AM »
 :)

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 11:46:51 AM »
So glad that things are working out well for you!

If anyone is looking for an egg drop project substitute for the egg allergic, water balloons work well as long as you don't have a latex allergy problem.  Just a recommendation from a former outdoor educator.  They are especially fun if you put a bit of powdered paint in before filling with water - makes the breaking more spectacular.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 06:07:02 AM »
I love reading about teachers that get it.   :)