login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 6-yr old saves friend from Nutella  (Read 2368 times)

Description: True PAL

Offline tigerlily

6-yr old saves friend from Nutella
« on: May 26, 2013, 07:06:26 PM »
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Boys-reading-skills-helps-save-friend-after-bad-allergic-reaction-202809601.html?tab=video

I didn't see this earlier--but this is a great story. In the comments, the mom wrote that the child was 6 yrs old, not 7 yrs as stated. Sorry if double posted, I searched several categories here and it did not come up. Need some good news about awesome aware kids!
-----------------------------
SALEM, Ore. – Maybe Ransom Duel has a future as a doctor.

Because when his friend started getting sick during lunch at Harritt Elementary, the 7-year-old knew he had to diagnose what was wrong before he could fix it. Also, knowing how to read helped.

That day at lunch, Ransom's friend, Sullivan Moore, also 7, thought another kid’s Nutella looked pretty good. So he ate some. The problem was Sullivan is really allergic to nuts.

"Sully has an allergy to all tree nuts, and he just thought it was chocolate," said Sullivan's mom, Patti Moore.

So when Sullivan started having a bad reaction, Ransom grabbed the jar of Nutella and starting reading the ingredients. Third one in, he found what he was looking for.

"I found 'hazelnuts,'" Ransom said.

He grabbed a teacher, who got Sullivan the medicine he needed.

"And he might even be in the hospital now if I didn't do that," Ransom said.

Ransom's now considered a hero, and he was honored at a school assembly.

"Hero, really, I guess, is the only word that can describe it," Patti said.

But Ransom just prefers "friend."

Sullivan didn't have to go to the hospital. His mom came by the school to make sure he was OK and later that day Sullivan and Ransom were able to get together and play.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: 6-yr old saves friend from Nutella
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 09:07:39 AM »
That's a nice story! 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:39:11 AM »
Nice story but I'm surprised he didn't go to the hospital at all with obvious ingestion. What a great friend!!
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:46:17 AM »
Both of my sons caught that--Whaaattt???? He was that sick, had medication, and DIDN'T go to the hospital? We have experienced more than one biphasic reaction.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »
Yeah, cute story but doesn't make sense that he was 'getting sick' but didn't go to the hospital.  Hope the child has a good allergist and actual emergency plan, etc.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 06:55:25 PM »
So.... wait... another child's lunch contained.... a JAR of Nutella?

A. JAR.

In a classroom with a child who has a known nut allergy?  Really?

I know that the average 6yo doesn't pay much attention to what is in their food, and that many parents don't make a big deal about their kids' food allergies... but that does seem exceedingly odd to me.

Why wouldn't there be:
a) no-food-sharing policy emphasized to kids in the class, OR
b) a notice to other parents about the presence of an allergic classmate, OR
c) some control/oversight re: seating in the classroom/cafeteria.

I dunno.  It's great that this child was alert enough to suspect that something was horribly wrong.  But where the heck were the ADULTS in this situation, hmmm?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:07:32 PM »
Don't get me wrong-- I'm really, really glad that this turned out okay, and the kid who put it together and got help--- HE is way, way on top of things.

But Mom, if you're reading this?

You need to scare the POO out of your kid.  If you don't, you'll never forgive yourself for the time when he decides to 'try it' and it doesn't turn out so well.

This kid's history sounds way too familiar.  And I do NOT mean that in a good way.  The entire family seems to be in no small amount of denial re: the life-threatening aspects of things, here.  The fact that this was treated with benadryl... that's really chilling to me given what the mom had to say in the comments section of the KATU story.

This is near us, quite frankly-- and there are precious few actual school nurses IN school buildings here.  I strongly suspect that a health aide called mom at home and mom walked her through the benadryl administration.  I am sincerely hoping that someone tells his parents about Nathan Walters.

Because a risk-taking child like this?  NEEDS to get scared straight.  AND the adults in charge of him need to have better awareness of what he's putting in his mouth.

Western U.S.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 07:22:06 PM »
yeah, my kid would NEVER "try" someone else's food.  Not in a gazillion years even age 4. 

So, wonder if epi was given or what?  nice story and what a great friend. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 07:27:50 PM »
Well, and I definitely understand that some kids will.  In spite of everyone's best efforts, and some even in spite of serious rxn hx.

But there's no way that kind of child is safe in a setting with (evidently?) this little adult/expert supervision going on.

This child seems to HAVE severe rxn hx.  So I can only conclude that this is a parent that has "not wanted to frighten" her child, and "deprive him of his childhood" by letting on just how high the stakes ACTUALLY are.

The problem with that is that you run the risk of depriving them of not only a carefree childhood-- but of an adulthood, too.   :-[  Once your child has been to the ER for a food reaction, the jig pretty much needs to be up if you hope to keep them from visiting there again under even less ideal circumstances.

Western U.S.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 09:59:38 PM »
Was it a jar?  Or was it one of those single serve containers that I have been known to send for DS1?

Yes, nice story but my first thought was ingestion plus rxn = epi pen.  Epi pen = hospital.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

twinturbo

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 08:12:53 AM »
Mine would, at least one of them. Keep in mind some kids aren't at the top end developmentally.