Other online groups. Ugh.

Started by Macabre, June 15, 2013, 09:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

On FB I liked a group "parents of kids with severe peanut allergies" and the group has gotten very active.

And it drives me crazy.

The questions asked are ones we've addressed here. And FB seems such an inefficient way to deal with this type if content, because there's no real way to keep track of content.

And I'm dying to point people here. But it would be bad form. So I think I just have to leave it. Because I am going crazy.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

yelloww

Maybe you could just message them privately- even if it goes to their "other" section of the mailbox, they will eventually see it...

nameless

It depends really, I don't think it would always be 'bad form'. People are looking for support. I know that here...it's discouraged to post links to other support groups (I actually disagree with that stance, but that's another conversation).

I'm going to suggest contacting the FB group owner and asking if you can posting a link to the support forums here.

???

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

CMdeux

I don't think it is "discouraged" per se , so much as that it is gently discouraged if it appears to be link-farming or forum-spamming.  Regular members who take the time to make thoughtful posts here, I can only think of a VERY tiny number of instances in which posting links was considered over-zealous.  It was handled privately and as a request to tone it down just a touch, that's all.

The problem is when someone who seldom posts, is new to the forum, or posts a LOT of posts in a flurry.... includes a link to the same.exact.resource. over-and-over-and-over... in pretty much every post they make.

For example:

[spoiler]

Go to website Z

Website Z talks about where I take my kids for fun...

Have you gone to Website Z?  They have great allergy-friendly recipes there...

I talked about this over at Website Z recently-- check it out.

[/spoiler]

Now imagine that those are each responses to different threads, all within a week or so, and that this comprises 70-100% of the person's posts...

That's promotional, and while it's hard to define, it's definitely clear when you see it.  <sigh>  An occasional redirect is fine-- especially when the information is not really current or frequently discussed here.  Things about EE, for example, I expect that the 'best' answers are going to include links to KFA.

On the other hand, I would also anticipate that the flip side is that few people there get much in the way of 'good' 504 advice given that this is a domain where linking to US would be helpful (and it's not permitted, really, as I understand it)...

so different policies are there for different reasons, and both are completely valid responses to the problem of forum/comment-spamming.

I wouldn't THINK that a single link that comes as part of a well-considered and thoughtful post would be considered comment-spam, but I suppose the polite thing to do would be to ask first.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

lakeswimr

That wasn't my experience.  I felt I was being told that either I would edit my posts that recommended some members also check out another forum or that it would be done for me.  It's difficult to tell tone on the internet but I didn't appreciate the tone of the message.  It took me by surprise.  YOu may have noticed I hardly ever post recommendations that someone check out another site anymore.  I don't think I have done it even once since I got the private message.  HOWEVER, in return I no longer recommend this site to anyone elsewhere, either.  I used to do so.  I did so many times.  I agree that your example is something that should be addressed *politely*.  However, I didn't agree with or appreciate the way I was 'asked' to edit references to another board from my posts. 

My concern, though, is for access to accurate info for people who deal with FAs and the safety of people who have FAs.  That was my motivation in posting recommendations that people also check out that other site.  I thought and still think in some cases people would be better served there and vice versa.

I don't see a thing wrong with at the very least asking to post links to here. They might get more traffic there in response.  It could be win win.   

Quote from: CMdeux on June 15, 2013, 02:17:58 PM
I don't think it is "discouraged" per se , so much as that it is gently discouraged if it appears to be link-farming or forum-spamming.  Regular members who take the time to make thoughtful posts here, I can only think of a VERY tiny number of instances in which posting links was considered over-zealous.  It was handled privately and as a request to tone it down just a touch, that's all.

The problem is when someone who seldom posts, is new to the forum, or posts a LOT of posts in a flurry.... includes a link to the same.exact.resource. over-and-over-and-over... in pretty much every post they make.

ajasfolks2

Our site and various links to FAS have been posted at that page various times over past 2 years,

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

LinksEtc

Quote from: nameless on June 15, 2013, 01:01:33 PM
I'm going to suggest contacting the FB group owner and asking if you can posting a link to the support forums here.

Quote from: lakeswimr on June 15, 2013, 10:02:05 PM
My concern, though, is for access to accurate info for people who deal with FAs and the safety of people who have FAs.

Good ideas/points.

------------------------------------------------------

Each group has its own rules and feel to it and it's good that you're sensitive to that.  You know me, I  :heart: links to everywhere - good articles, good blogs, support groups, advocacy orgs, etc ... I think FA families benefit from shared knowledge and efforts.  Yes, of course, spam isn't a good thing, but where that line is - I'd probably allow more than most groups would. 

ajasfolks2

The person who has that Facebook page is named Louise Larsen.  (This is open/public information.)

Google and/or read about her at LinkedIn.

She is writing book.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

maeve

"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

SkyRibbons

Mc - I belong to that group, too.  I agree with what you're saying.  I've been dealing with my daughter's pa for 14 years now, and I feel like a lot of the people who post in that group might be better served in this forum.  I have replied to some things, but there are a lot of new parents there.  It's too much to post in a FB comment.  Maybe I will pm people and point them here - if I think they would welcome it.

maeve

Quote from: SkyRibbons on June 22, 2013, 04:24:04 PM
Mc - I belong to that group, too.  I agree with what you're saying.  I've been dealing with my daughter's pa for 14 years now, and I feel like a lot of the people who post in that group might be better served in this forum.  I have replied to some things, but there are a lot of new parents there.  It's too much to post in a FB comment.  Maybe I will pm people and point them here - if I think they would welcome it.

Have you seen the group creator's post today about the "tone" of the group (and how facts can be "subjective")?
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

YouKnowWho

I just read the Wendy's thread - per Wendy's corporate, individual stores are not to be using peanut oil (makes no sense from an expense standpoint).  The shops that tell me they use peanut oil, when I am pretty sure they don't (yes I know Chicfila and Five Guys do), are ones that don't want to be bothered to serve allergic folks so they give that as a standard answer.  Been there, done that.   

I also hate that one person is saying no one making minimum wage can serve you safely.  What a stupid blanket statement.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

CMdeux

Indeed, YKW-- a facility that doesn't USE your allergen on the premises is going to have no trouble at all.

And one that has it everywhere?  Even the manager would (hopefully) tell you that there's just no way, and most of them are certainly pulling down better than minimum.

<sigh>

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Jessica

USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

twinturbo

There's always G+ and path to proliferate, and they might actually be better. I'm anti-FB but not anti-social media.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview