FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Poll

A grocery store near you has an open bin of peanuts in the produce area (assuming you have several other stores nearby), do you:

Buy produce at that store as well as other things
Never buy produce or anything else at that store
Buy other things at that store but not produce (and don't bother wiping those things down at home)
Buy other things at that store but not produce (but wipe down those things at home)

Author Topic: For PA folks: Buying produce where there is an open bin of peanuts  (Read 5983 times)

Description: WWYD--if you're dealing with a peanut allergy

Offline maeve

Re: For PA folks: Buying produce where there is an open bin of peanuts
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 03:25:09 PM »
I've been successful in getting our last Wegman's to make changes . . . but haven't tried new Wegman's yet to see what the situation there is (likely the pnut bins are in the candy-ish-bin area that is not co-located with produce?).

We won't buy produce at the Quantico commissary -- open bins of nut and peanuts, zero training as to X-contam and the mess . . . just a ZERO as to comprehension!

I shop at the one off 28 in Dulles.  I'm not sure where things are put in the Leesburg location (I hate how dark their produce section is there).  At the Dulles location, there will be open bins of nuts among the produce (along with candy apples) in late fall through the holiday season.  There are bulk bins of nuts with the bulk foods (mostly bulk candy) and in the Dulles location that's at the end of the cookie and popcorn aisles. There's grind-your-own peanut butter station on an end cap in the small, dead-end-like bread section. Not far from the peanut butter machines (about 5 to 6 feet) is a make-your-own trail mix bar.  This is what's in the general shopping area and doesn't include the nut-crusted meats in the butcher's counter, the nuts on the brie in the cheese counter, or the items in the hot food section.  I think there's also a bulk food section in the organic section of the store.

I still shop at Wegman's because the prices are so much better than my closer Harris Teeter and the quality of meats and until recently the produce was also better.  However, I've been miffed at them for how poorly stocked they've been, expired dates on items on the shelves, and no longer carrying items we use. 
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 04:06:07 PM »
I do not worry about nuts in covered bins in bulk bins or elsewhere. Especially behind bakery or deli or prepared food windows. I don't buy anything there anyway. Not worried at all.

It's the GIANT open bins at Cub (maybe 4x4') and mid-sized bins at Rainbow. At Cub there are peanuts on the floor (whole shells and peanut bits) as well as peanut bits in at least one nearby bin. I saw. DH has seen people snack on peanuts in the produce section.

I refuse to buy produce at Cub and at Rainbow. And I only by a few items at Cub period. I haven't stepped in a Cub store since October.

It's too bad, because produce at other stores is more expensive. But I won't buy where there are open bins of peanuts.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 04:19:13 PM »
A year or two ago our Walmart had open bins of pistachios. I saw an employee take a bunch of bananas that someone had left in the pistachio bin and put it back with the bananas. We've always washed all produce, even ones where you don't eat the skin, like bananas, but I'm a lot more careful about it since then.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »
At our Cub all of the specifically Allergy free foods (Enjoy Life, Cherrybrook) are one adjacent and over half an aisle. So about 10 feet away with a 4 foot tall aisle. They face away from the peanuts. The back of that aisle faces the peanuts.

I spoke to the manager about it. He acted like I was crazy. I've tweeted Enjoy Life and Cub about it (same tweet). They responded that they have no control over product placement.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 04:57:51 PM »
Jessica that would freak me out. I mean it does deal me out when it happens. My Kroger in VA lined the apples with bags of peanuts. I told the manager. But the peanuts are inside the bags."  "You are mistaken if you think there is no peanut protein on the outside of the bags sir."  I also got him to stop pitting the peanut-covered apples on top of fruit areas. You could see peanuts all over.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 07:35:08 PM »
At our Cub all of the specifically Allergy free foods (Enjoy Life, Cherrybrook) are one adjacent and over half an aisle. So about 10 feet away with a 4 foot tall aisle. They face away from the peanuts. The back of that aisle faces the peanuts.

I spoke to the manager about it. He acted like I was crazy. I've tweeted Enjoy Life and Cub about it (same tweet). They responded that they have no control over product placement.

Many years ago, our Whole Foods stocked the allergy friendly products under the make your own butter bar.  Yes, under.  Are you kidding me?  And the manager was an idgit when I complained.  Finally they moved them to another place that was safer.  Egads what a mess that was.

Open bins of nuts bother me less in the aisles of the produce section.  However green peanuts in the produce baskets drive me bonkers - there are peanuts everywhere in the fresh produce section as a result.  I campaigned to get one store to remove them but our store actually sells green peanuts (other store said it was a rare purchase for them and a money loss).  Just wish I could have them move them into the fresh cut fruit section (where everything is in containers) or bag them in the back.  I hate Walmart produce and our Kroger is the dregs.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA