TGF-beta mutation possible connection to FA and other genetic disorders?

Started by CMdeux, July 25, 2013, 01:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does your (extended) family have--

A connective tissue disorder related to TGF-beta (these include Marfan, Loeys-Dietz, other vascular disorders)
Life-threatening allergies or other expressions of severe atopy (eczema, asthma)
Both of the above
Allergy and some kind of connective tissue disorder (genetic)-- not sure what type
none of the above-- the LTFA in our family seems to have come out of nowhere

Jmarc

hi goingnuts!!!! :bye: i didnt recieve the message can you send it again? your not alone..<3

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

hezzier

As far as I know we have no connective tissue disorders, but there aren't any relatives to ask anymore...my sister is my oldest living blood relative.  Nothing seems out of the ordinary on DH's side.

MamaZu

Quote from: Jmarc on August 29, 2015, 03:07:31 PM
hi goingnuts!!!! :bye: i didnt recieve the message can you send it again? your not alone..<3

i just realized i sent it as an email, to the email address that pops up when i hit the little envelope under your name.  hmm...sorry!
i will try sending again. 

rebekahc

Thanks Jmar for popping in - nice to "see" you!   :bye:

MamaZu, please keep us posted.  :heart:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

MamaZu

This week is crawling.
We are finally heading to JHU Friday to see Dr. Dietz. He's the cardiologist who discovered Loeys-Dietz Syndrome.
Still don't have the results of the genetic testing but this is week 5 of our "4-6 week" wait and Im praying we'll have some news by the appointment.
My anxiety is brewing, I want answers.

Please send prayers....
I'll post with news once we have some.

MamaZ

ajasfolks2

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

MamaZu

im exhausted and going on very little sleep so please  excuse if i make no sense :)

Hopkins visit was productive.  Dr. Dietz (as in Loeys-Dietz) is fantastic. 
Genetic tests came back and ruled out Marfan, LDS, EDS...however they want to test further.  Dr. Dietz feels he has a connective tissue disorder , and possibly one that hasn't even been discovered yet.
Testing his father and I as well, want to see if the one gene that came back questionable in my son is something that either of us also have. 

His aorta is not large enough to need surgery.  (THank GOD) we will manage with medication, and keeping BP low.   No competitive or contact sports.  No weight lifting, no straining.   
Dr. D did put my mind at ease, saying my son isn't "fragile".   Our goal is just to watch and make sure his aorta doesn't continue to grow. 

He did say  that its very likely his food allergies are somehow related to the gene that is causing the artery to enlarge.   We just don't know which gene that is right now.   and we may never.
Genetic testing is very complex, expensive, and takes time.   I am trying to read and learn but its really over my head. :dunce:

More testing in 6 months, so for now we just continue to adjust to new normal.  I am so proud of my son.  who is handling this like a champ.  For a kid who's sports has been his life since age 5, he has shown me a level of resilience and determination I never knew he had.   He's focusing on grades and golf, and he seems very happy.   So for that  I am grateful.  Just want my boy to live a happy life and I could care less what sports he plays!!! 

Thanks for listening and reading this ramble. 

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview