TGF-beta mutation possible connection to FA and other genetic disorders?

Started by CMdeux, July 25, 2013, 01:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does your (extended) family have--

A connective tissue disorder related to TGF-beta (these include Marfan, Loeys-Dietz, other vascular disorders)
Life-threatening allergies or other expressions of severe atopy (eczema, asthma)
Both of the above
Allergy and some kind of connective tissue disorder (genetic)-- not sure what type
none of the above-- the LTFA in our family seems to have come out of nowhere

CMdeux

The recent news release about this research article from JHU got me wondering-- I know that anecdotally a lot of folks here have connective tissue disorders or related things in their families.  It has always seemed like a higher number than average... but now I really wonder.

More about TGF-beta disorders:
http://www.princehenrys.org/tgf-b-signalling-pathway-disorders

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22918531
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

maeve

I have joint hypermobility syndrome, eczema, antibiotic and environmental allergies, and asthma.  DD has asthma, LTFA, eczema, and environmental allergies.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

CMdeux

Doh-- had to edit the first poll option-- not "No" connective tissue disorder...    :dunce:  Because, see, yeah... that wouldn't make any sense.  Even for me.

Western U.S.

GingerPye

So, I marked allergy --- but we don't have any kind of connective tissue disorder.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

twinturbo

No known links in our combined families' histories. But a long history of food allergies and atopy on both sides both predating emigration from ancestral countries, or family still abroad having similar issues but not anaphylaxis. Say that fast ten times.

becca

Does Lupus, RA, count as connective tissue disorder, or aortic aneurysm in 3 brothers?  I believe that is an issue with connective tissue and inflammation.  If so, Then we have lots of those sorts of things on my father's side.  "connective tissue disorder" is a broad term.

Atopy on dh's side, his mother and a sibling AFAIK. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

CMdeux

Well, lupus is AI but probably a different mechanism... and aortic dissection is certainly associated with Marfan, though I don't know specifically about aneurism.

I'm guessing that means "other" since it's not specifically linked (that you know of) to the TGF-beta pathway.

That's what I voted for us, too-- there's plenty of evidence for connective tissue disorder in my side of the family, but it's something odd and I can't recall what specific gene product is involved.

Western U.S.

maeve

Aortic aneurysm can be caused by a connective tissue disorder (the vascular version of Ehlers-Danlos).  Both lupus and RA are autoimmune diseases, as are celiac and psoriasis.  There's also a history of aortic aneursym in my family along with RA, celiac and psoriasis.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Gray

A few years ago, a rheumatologist told me I have connective tissue disease that he felt was probably in a pre-lupus stage although there was not enough criteria met to say for sure.  I don't know how accurate even the CTD diagnosis is.  ANA's and other symptoms have been pretty good lately so it's just something we are keeping an eye on.
DD passed an IOFC but is now on a small maintenance dose since she started having mild reactions at home.  This is allergist supervised - do NOT try this without allergist approval - there is a risk of anaphylaxis.

becca

Yeah, I have had slightly elevated ANA's and the doc then shrugged it off even though I was complaining of lots of aches and pains and have 2 auto-immune issues as is, maybe 3, as diabetes gets lumped into it at times too. 

Dd is getting achy knees.  They looked inflamed at times.  I need to have her checked out and am so bummed.  She is pretty athletic, but seems like she could be prone to CTD issues or autoimmune aches and pains.  Just based on her build and similarity to women in my family with some of the various diseases.  She at least has some ligamentous laxity. 

becca

So, my dad, nor either of his 2 brothers with aortic aneurysms had a dx of Marfans, but I would not be at all surprised if there were a mild dx missed.  all were tall, thin, had some features that could be consistent with it, eye problems, long digits, large feet, etc...  My dad's dissected and it was an emergency and he lived.  The first brother with it died from it, suddenly many years before my dad's issue.  So, then, his older brother, got his diagnosed after asking to be screened after my dad's situation.  Had his fixed in his late 80's and lived past 90.  Even if my dad had died, he would have lived past a normal life expectancy, for his generation, but the first brother was only in his 60s. 

PurpleCat

twinturbo

Quote from: LinksEtc on August 08, 2013, 09:10:58 PM
Genetic glitch at the root of food allergies?
http://foodallergysleuth.blogspot.com/2013/07/genetic-glitch-at-root-of-food-allergies.html

This needs to be read. Thanks links, I didn't know she had an entry about it.

Unless I'm way off she's pointing out that the allergic population is not part of the 'genetic glitch' club but rather share some similarities in how the immune system malfunctions with the population that does have the genetic glitch.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview