Pa.com questionable answer

Started by nameless, July 28, 2013, 10:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nameless

Oh my. I can't seem to unsubscribe from their newsletter...so I get periodic things.

Wow. So, take benadryl before you go to a Thai restaurant, hoping to eat safely, so your bf canhave his special dinner.

TAKE BENADRYL BEFORE A RISKY/POSSIBLE EXPOSURE?!

http://www.peanutallergy.com/boards/adults-living-with-peanut-allergy/thai-food-and-peanut-allergy?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PeanutAllergy.com&utm_content=PA+Question+5

Not sure if that link will work or not...

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

CMdeux

Ouch.  Oh, that is such dangerous advice.   :rant: :bonking:

I figured out a few years back that there was so much bad info over there in the past 4-5y that there was simply no way to combat it directly by answering questions.

It makes me really angry and sad, though, for people who can still see the OLD-old advice there and may assume a level of competence in management that (obviously!) no longer exists...  (For anyone who doesn't know this-- the VAST majority of the people who were posting there between 1997-2006 are now either here, at KFA, neither, or both.)

:-[

PA.com kept our old posts as its own intellectual property (by depriving us of the ability to EDIT OUR POSTS), but there's a reason why so many of us bailed on that site.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

candyguru

Take a benedryl before the Thai restaurant???  I don't go anywhere near Thai restaurants as there are peanuts everywhere.

Yes, we all bailed on pa.com as the owner was most concerned about making money for new cars and vacations and he refused to answer Becca's questions about where all the monetary donations were used except to keep talking about some ice cream facility that might be built a few decades from now at Saginaw, Texas (32.86 North / 97.35 West) ... northwest of Fort Worth, TX.

CMDeux: what is KFA?  I never heard of that before.
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

SilverLining

Quote from: candyguru on July 28, 2013, 03:05:59 PM

CMDeux: what is KFA?  I never heard of that before.

I believe it's Kids with Food Allergies.

twinturbo

Anyone else wonder if their official content is all manufactured? I guess we'll
know for sure if the next burning question is how to order a peanut buster parfait safely.

candyguru

Quote from: twinturbo on July 28, 2013, 04:43:17 PM
Anyone else wonder if their official content is all manufactured? I guess we'll
know for sure if the next burning question is how to order a peanut buster parfait safely.

Yes, maybe they are still using those old Univacs in their modern hi tech computer centre  to manufacture the content?  Seriously speaking, there is so much risk going to a Thai restaurant, the guy should go someplace else if he values her safety.

Thanks SL, never heard of Kids with Food Allergies before which is interesting since I have kids with food allergies
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

CMdeux

Western U.S.

twinturbo

In the sense sites are obtained and maintained in aggregate.

Jessica

I saw that just now and thought the same thing. Scary.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

lakeswimr

That nuts.   I saw the other replies first and they were good but the one from the site owners boggles e mind!   I think someone should post there telling them how dangerous and wrong their advice is and letting them know they should be more careful so someone new to this doesn't take their advice and end up having a bad reaction or worse and so thy don't get sued. 

SilverLining

I haven't been there in ages.  So, I went looking around, and now I feel nauseous.  I get car sick, boat sick, and apparently padotcom sick.   :sick:

Seriously, remember part of the upset was that Chris hadn't updated the forum software in forever.  Well, it's updated now....but what a horrible set-up.

I love our new-new home.   :cocktail:

ETA:  That's a cocktail. Lol.  I thought it was a little flag waving guy.

nameless

Quote from: lakeswimr on July 29, 2013, 12:19:53 PM
That nuts.   I saw the other replies first and they were good but the one from the site owners boggles e mind!   I think someone should post there telling them how dangerous and wrong their advice is and letting them know they should be more careful so someone new to this doesn't take their advice and end up having a bad reaction or worse and so thy don't get sued.

In my mind...writing an answer with medical advice (...take a Benadryl first) by "not an M.D." Is a dangerous road to go down. The answer started out ok saying Thai is risky, but then I kept reading. I'd be concerned the benadryl could mask the 'warning signs' and some of the early symptoms of ingestion -   Hives, bad taste in mouth, itchy lips - the ones I'm familiar with happening and it makes my alarm bells go off.

This is more of a question --- given benadryl won't stop anaphylaxis...but could help with other parts of the reaction like hives, itchy, swelling to an extent...so like, the dangerous bits like low blood pressure and throat suddenly swelling...the ones that kill...wouldn't they just seem to come out of nowhere?

Anyway, I haven't taken the iniative to go post there...I still can't get off the fracking mailing list.

Scary advice...geesh, is Jenny McCarthy posting on pa.com now?
Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

CMdeux

I've asked our (highly competent) allergist that question before-- the answer is apparently not.  That is, with a major reaction, you're going to get breakthrough symptoms even with the benadryl.

The problem, though, with a known/likely exposure like that is that the resultant reaction may be pretty severe anyway.

We've also found that the benadryl can induce drowsiness which is difficult to distinguish from the possible impact of cardiovascular symptoms in the earliest phase of development.

Western U.S.

twinturbo

I know it's easier said than done but IMO CM in previous post is right: you can't battle the internet and whoever took over that domain may not have any allergy-specific goal in mind. If it was bought based on traffic it could be used as a feeder to draw in revenues from ads or traffic to other sites. Not long ago there was something there on how to deal with a milk reaction--the advice was to quickly rinse mouth out with water. It belies credulity that someone is actually at the helm there. Just because it bills itself as pa.com and used to have credible information generated by users doesn't mean that's what it is now, but, that's what the reputation may have been worth hence its value.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview