Advice needed before baked egg challenge this Friday

Started by MandCmama, July 31, 2013, 06:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandCmama

C has heard us talking about his baked egg challenge for 6 months now, but his little 4 year old self hadn't really processed it. The allergist 's office called yesterday and said they weren't giving us any special recipe, just make cupcakes or cookies that we would normally make ( with egg if course) and bring several of either.

Thinking it would help him to be more invested, we took C to the store and let him pick out a cake mix. We then picked up disposable muffin tins and eggs (  :misspeak:). I plan to take the whole sha bang to work tomorrow and whip them up in our clinic.  Once he saw the carton of eggs, c got a bit teary and said "No! I don't want to eat eggs!"

I know this is a normal reaction and I remember others talking about it a long time ago....he asked me again at dinner if he has to eat egg. I don't want to lie to him, but I also don't want to cause undue anxiety. I told him "only if Dr. Says its safe" which is a 1/2 truth. Advice please!!!!!

How much do I tell him and when? I plan to try not to talk about it, if possible. Dr. Is great with the boys and I'm sure she has a little spiel she uses. What do I answer a 4 year olds direct question, if needed, though?!?
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

YouKnowWho

I had to resort to all out bribery. 

I was honest with DS1 and for him, being able to have nuts would have opened up a whole bunch of options in the GF world at the time.  I needed him to do the challenges.  And egads he pulled his feet on it.  He hates the taste of nuts (still and it's been four years).  But being able to show him products that he could eat if he passed the challenge was helpful.

We also brought new games/toys with us to each challenge (we had three tree nut challenges and one peanut challenge) and the ultimate bribe was Fisher Price inline skates if he completed all of the challenges.

Our egg challenge was a little easier - he wanted donuts and I pointed out the Kinninnick brand.  Unfortunately they were a fail for him.  (We didn't challenge with Kinninnick - we showed him what eggs would open up for him).  He had his first donut ever today after our allergy appt (found a top-8 free bakery).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

twinturbo

Kinnick--that's a good idea. We're challenging egg and I was wondering WTH I was going to do to prepare something without wheat or milk.

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

MandCmama

Well, not as bad as my worst nightmare.  No epi was needed. Benadryl took care of all gut and skin symptoms and we were just observed for FOREVER. Thankfully no biphasic reaction or residual tummy ache.

He tolerated 1/4 tsp of cupcake fine.  20 minutes later he was given 1/2 tsp.  At about the 10 minute mark he said his belly hurt and my heart sank. He never vomited or had diarrhea, but his complaints kept increasing. He was given 1 tsp. at the 20 min mark and a hive sprouted above his lip, a big one around his belly button, and one on his scapula. He was itching all over and tugging at his ears at that point as well. Dr. said she would have kept pushing with the few skin symptoms, but didn't want to push the gut.  I was ready to call it as well. How nerve wracking!

He's none the worse for wear.  I overheard him telling his big brother "Mommy's cupcake really hurt my belly- and made me toot a lot!" :rofl:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

YouKnowWho

Oh no! 

So glad he was willing to eat it but I am LOL'ing at his responses.  Sounds similar to DS1's egg fail (gotta say we were a little over confident given the positive outcomes of the peanut and tree nut challenges and probably pushed a little too hard for it).  Just subtle issues that made me wonder if it was more about nerves than true reaction.  It sucks because he actually liked the taste of eggs (whereas we were killing ourselves to get him to eat nuts because he detested them).  Did he have hives - yes.  Were they odd and random and could they have been caused by nervous scratching, unfortunately. 

I actually considered doing a blind challenge at home (yes, the kind folks here told me I was an idiot for considering thank goodness).  Then he had a whopper of a reaction that ruined much of a vacation thanks to an idiot waitress who didn't realize mayo had egg in it.  Learned some lessons there.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview