FARE's new Food Allergy Action Plan

Started by MandCmama, August 16, 2013, 02:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LinksEtc

Great points, as usual  :) .

What would my allergy life have been like without you CM?

:smooch:

LinksEtc

http://blog.foodallergy.org/2014/02/07/food-allergy-reactions-what-to-do-in-an-emergency/

hmmm ...

QuoteAntihistamines may be given, if recommended by a physician, for a single mild symptom

fwiw, I prefer the term FAAP over ECP, but the trend seems to be towards the latter.

QuoteAgain, when in doubt, give epinephrine! This is critically important. You could save a life.

LinksEtc

Quote from: LinksEtc on February 07, 2014, 06:44:18 PM
http://blog.foodallergy.org/2014/02/07/food-allergy-reactions-what-to-do-in-an-emergency/

hmmm ...

QuoteAntihistamines may be given, if recommended by a physician, for a single mild symptom

http://www.foodallergy.org/document.doc?id=294

This is on my list to talk to our allergist about at next appt.

twinturbo

Quote from: LinksEtc
fwiw, I prefer the term FAAP over ECP, but the trend seems to be towards the latter.

There's a reason for that.  :-X

BTW, just saw the new one. I know no one form is going to be everyone's cup of tea but I thought it looked solid.

LinksEtc

Quote from: twinturbo on May 19, 2014, 05:39:16 PM
Quote from: LinksEtc

There's a reason for that.  :-X

BTW, just saw the new one. I know no one form is going to be everyone's cup of tea but I thought it looked solid.

What is the reason?

---------------------------------

The newest version of the FARE plan:

http://www.foodallergy.org/document.doc?id=234

I like that they made that separate box for the "extremely reactive" instructions.

I would have had to epi dd many times in the past if I had been following this plan for mild symptoms.   :misspeak:

LinksEtc

ok ... getting my school forms together   :P 

Something that bugs me on the new FAAP/ECP ....

In the (mild symptoms box), they just say "Give Epinephrine" if more than 1 system area.... but all the other epi instructions are in the (severe symptoms box) like call 911, etc.  The former computer programmer in me says both should point to 1 "give epi" instruction area.    :tongue:

My  :heart: of forms ... based on a talent or a curse or both?    :coffee:

LinksEtc

Do you think it would have been better to have that mild/epi area an optional checkbox for allergist to decide?  Those going through OIT and/or having OAS often have those symptoms.  I'll leave that ? to the experts.

MandCmama

My forms just came in the mail today from our allergist visit last week. I was a bit surprised to see they switched back to the old FAPs. I know our school nurse also prefers the old ones.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

LinksEtc

Quote from: MandCmama on August 26, 2014, 06:12:31 PM
My forms just came in the mail today from our allergist visit last week. I was a bit surprised to see they switched back to the old FAPs. I know our school nurse also prefers the old ones.

Which format do they like ... the 5/2013 one?  Did they say why they prefer the older ones?

ajasfolks2

Once upon a time DH and I discussed these Allergy Action Plans and the many formats . . . and we decided that an experienced PILOT should consult with them so that the forms were more streamlined and user-friendly . . . as well as SUPER clear.

In an emergency, the fewer the words and the firmer the instructions ("Emergency Procedures"), the better.

*sigh*

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

ajasfolks2

Hubby just added:

Needs to be easy to understand when you're on fire.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

MandCmama

I'm not sure why the allergist doesn't use the new one. I know the nurse thought it was too cluttered with the pictures. I want to say it was the last version before the current one.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

MandCmama

Just looked. It's actually the one from 2010 they are using.
Pennsylvania, USA

LinksEtc

Many kids with FA and/or asthma don't have school health plans

Quote from: LinksEtc on September 15, 2014, 12:44:50 PM
On the FARE FAAP/ECP, have a check box the allergist could check saying something like it's their opinion this child should be evaluated by the school for a 504 plan ... that the child has a major life activity that is affected ... that the CDC guidelines should be referred to ...

make the wording bold.   :evil:

LinksEtc

Allergic to everything, Help! I'm desperate.

Quote from: LinksEtc on September 13, 2014, 12:35:26 PM
In addition to the grading chart, there is the FARE "Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Emergency Care Plan" ... there is some language about "child" in there as it's often used for students, but your doc could make a few minor changes & sign the plan for you (if the doc agrees that the plan is appropriate for you). 

http://www.foodallergy.org/document.doc?id=234

From FARE plan (my bold/blue):
Quote2. Call 911. Tell them the child is having anaphylaxis and may
need epinephrine when they arrive.

I do think it's important for adults to have a plan ... it'd be nice to have one without "child" language.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview