FARE's new Food Allergy Action Plan

Started by MandCmama, August 16, 2013, 02:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandCmama

My first is that I do not like it. I don't care for the graphics- they seem too distracting. OTOH, I do like the inclusion of instructions for Auvi-q. I'd add a link here, but I'm at work and such feats aren't possible :)
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

twinturbo

Links put it downpage somewhere I'm too lazy to link to. I'm unsure how to use it for MFA considering not all allergens are an automatic epi. Egg would be wait and see even for known ingestion. Peanut, that would be epi even if you think he might have eaten a trace amount.

lakeswimr

I think I like it.  It isn't our plan, though.  Our plan calls for the epi for anything other than localized hives with known or suspected ingestion.  I have failed to epi sometimes in situations the new plan would call for watch and wait or Benadryl and those symptoms seem more moderate to my non-MD self.  I like how it treats GI symptoms, unlike the old plan that didn't treat GI seriously enough IMO. 

lakeswimr

I'm looking at it more and I think it could be a bit confusing with the check boxes at the top but I think that is the only way to make it work for all possible plans regarding giving the epi with known ingestion, etc.

my3guys

http://www.foodallergy.org/document.doc?id=234

They've changed it again since I printed the forms at the beginning of the school year.  Thoughts?

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

my3guys

The forms I sent to school at the end of August had slightly different wording of options when to give epi and different descriptions of symptoms.  They've now added pictures for body symptoms and I think further simplified when to give epi.

LinksEtc

Quote from: twinturbo on August 16, 2013, 02:35:56 PM
I'm unsure how to use it for MFA considering not all allergens are an automatic epi. Egg would be wait and see even for known ingestion. Peanut, that would be epi even if you think he might have eaten a trace amount.

They could solve this issue pretty easily .... Have something like this up top, above those boxes ...

"Allergy to: ________________________"

"Give epinephrine for ANY symptoms if the following allergen(s) was/were likely eaten (extremely reactive): _____________________________________________"

"Give epinephrine BEFORE symptoms if the following allergen(s) was/were definitely eaten (extremely reactive): ___________________________________________"

I love making forms better.  I would love to be part of a team that develops allergy/asthma forms for real.

LinksEtc

Another thing I wish they'd change ....

On items like this:

QuoteThroat
tight, hoarse, trouble breathing/swallowing

add an "or" in there

QuoteThroat
tight, hoarse, or trouble breathing/swallowing

LinksEtc

It doesn't make sense to me for them to have this wording

QuoteOr a comination of mild or severe symptoms from different body areas.

inside of the "severe symptoms box" if they really want us to look at mild symptoms also.

CMdeux

Quote from: LinksEtc on November 21, 2013, 09:17:15 AM
Quote from: twinturbo on August 16, 2013, 02:35:56 PM
I'm unsure how to use it for MFA considering not all allergens are an automatic epi. Egg would be wait and see even for known ingestion. Peanut, that would be epi even if you think he might have eaten a trace amount.

They could solve this issue pretty easily .... Have something like this up top, above those boxes ...

"Allergy to: ________________________"

"Give epinephrine for ANY symptoms if the following allergen(s) was/were likely eaten (extremely reactive): _____________________________________________"

"Give epinephrine BEFORE symptoms if the following allergen(s) was/were definitely eaten (extremely reactive): ___________________________________________"

I love making forms better.  I would love to be part of a team that develops allergy/asthma forms for real.

This most closely resembles the old-old-OLD forms from FAAN.

I know, because I still have one of those somewhere-- I remember going over it with Nancy Ott in about 2000.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

LinksEtc

Hmmm ... that was before dd was born so I'm not familiar with that form.

I wonder why they changed it.  It just seems there needs to be a place to write in the relevant allergens for those with MFA of different severities.

CMdeux

I think it was to streamline it for caregivers.  I do remember that it was confusing for daycare providers.  Different rules for different allergens, different rules for different symptoms, etc.

Unfortunately, this is a decision tree that can only BE simplified just so much before it becomes too overgeneralized to use for some people.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview