imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Role of Pediatricians in Food Allergy Mgmnt  (Read 3264 times)

Description: Aug 2013

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Role of Pediatricians in Food Allergy Mgmnt
« on: August 30, 2013, 08:56:48 PM »
Just getting the link in here.

Haven't had a moment to read yet!
(But I glanced at the charts and was liking some of what I read/saw . . . )

The Role of Pediatricians in School Food Allergy Management

Michael Pistiner, MD, MMSc; Cynthia DiLaura Devore, MD, FAAP

Pediatric Annals
August 2013 - Volume 42 · Issue 8: 334-340
DOI: 10.3928/00904481-20130723-14

http://www.healio.com/pediatrics/journals/pedann/%7B4d17b1a3-26c1-4ac3-932a-6152129b2eea%7D/the-role-of-pediatricians-in-school-food-allergy-management
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:03:14 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

twinturbo

Re: Role of Pediatricians in Food Allergy Mgmnt
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »
Practical, evidence-based food-allergy management strategies must not only keep children safe, but must also be feasible. Reasonable accommodations can happen without negatively impacting others in the school community. When parents of the child with a life-threatening allergy have fear-driven or inappropriate expectations for what a school must do, it is important for pediatricians to reassure and educate the parent and correct any misperceptions that drive unreasonable demands. 7

... reasonable...

Whether community- or school-based, pediatricians play a key role in safeguarding children with life-threatening food allergies. They should be familiar with all aspects of management of food allergies in the school setting to implement essential and reasonable accommodations.

They really, really want you to sign on to reasonable.

I wonder if he'd look forward to a dozen emails from me with super fun OCR goodies. Who wouldn't enjoy that.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:18:08 PM by twinturbo »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 08:43:29 AM »
Who wouldn't enjoy that.

LOL.   :evil:

Yeah-- while I understand what they are getting at there-- that is, make sure that provisions in a 504 plan ARE in fact warranted by the particular child's condition and history, and that they are POSSIBLE under the circumstances, that is a different matter than "reasonable."

I've asked it before...

What DO they recommend when 'necessary' runs right over 'reasonable' and toys with 'achievable,' hmmm?

There ARE kids in that situation.  Pretending that "reasonable" is ENOUGH for them is inadequate and leaves them at severe risk daily.  NOT OKAY to just pretend that symptoms from environmental contact with an allergen are "psychosomatic" or "mild" in a child for whom that environmental contact is a ticking time bomb. 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 11:23:21 AM »
I suspect that the docs here have more of what would be deemed a "clerical error" rather than intentional. Still, precision and accuracy matter especially if these doctors with considerable credibility are putting it out there as resource for a wider audience of pediatricians.

The citations include IDEA but not Section 504 and clearly there was not enough effort put in to identifying the accurate resource with correct and current information. Neither of them should bristle at a friendly letter pointing out the discrepancy.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »
And by "friendly letter," I assume you mean Letter to Zirkel?

:rofl:

That peds are becoming more familiar with 504s and are even thinking about accommodations at all is light years away from where we were even a half decade ago. Truly. I am pleased.  But you're right TT. They need to so more research if they're going to be issuing statements like this.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts