FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Introducing allergens to subsequent children.  (Read 6123 times)

Description:

Offline krasota

Re: Introducing allergens to subsequent children.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »
If his contact hives were localized, I'd be much more casual.  They aren't/don't stay that way. I mean they happen from time to time and we don't freak out too much, but I'd prefer to limit his exposure when it comes to his own toys at home.  Also, I find hives and contact dermatitis miserable and I prefer to spare my kids that misery.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

twinturbo

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 11:55:34 AM »
lol, yeah.  :yes:

I am trying not to read that in a negative way.

^Well, I was agreeing with you re: contact hives in the context of the topic, shared household multiple children eating each other's allergens. Is that negative?

If his contact hives were localized, I'd be much more casual.  They aren't/don't stay that way. I mean they happen from time to time and we don't freak out too much, but I'd prefer to limit his exposure when it comes to his own toys at home.  Also, I find hives and contact dermatitis miserable and I prefer to spare my kids that misery.

What would be the best way to assist in this case? The risk is ultimately up to you. Strategically, given age of child eating egg and the nature of the allergen itself if all you're after is the nutritional content could you offer younger child high heat treated egg, often, to (1) get the nutritional content (2) be introduced to food (3) "take the fangs out" of egg in case DS comes in contact (4) talk to DS to see if he can raise his awareness a bit, not put fingers in his mouth, leave younger child's things alone (5) limit area eggy food is eaten.

I don't think you want to do the garage thing like we do. It's not fun.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:51:39 PM by twinturbo »

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 11:57:45 AM »
Sorry, Twinturbo. You edited to add content -- all I saw was the initial "LOL, yeah" when I replied. 

Obviously read too much into it. Carry on.
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 12:01:06 PM »

Absolutely.

I think that I probably wouldn't do it at this point.

I've tried to think of some way to have her eat more pure forms of egg-- but given your family's lifestyle (which I'm definitely NOT suggesting should change!!) I don't see a good way to make it safe and developmentally appropriate in terms of expectations.

Asking a child not to mouth objects for his/her own safety = not developmentally appropriate, but regrettably necessary (BTDT, basically)

Asking a child not to mouth objects for someone ELSE's safety = not developmentally appropriate and probably a losing battle anyway.

She's getting egg protein from you as long as she's getting breastmilk, yes?  So no worries on that score.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 05:08:54 PM »
CM just stole my thunder. :)

I was just going to come back to breast milk. But, you know, finding some way to get it to have extra protein. :)

Other than that, I honestly don't know. I don't even remember how old they are by the time they stop mouthing everything. Oh wait--I do: 14.

Really, I don't know.

I have wondered about egg protein on surfaces--and dairy. There has been some work done to study how long peanut protein remains on nonporous surfaces (and not enough work IMHO), but I've not seen anything about egg or dairy, and I've wondered about it.

And I would also like to see the same research to determine how long it says in saliva, and under what circumstances it is broken down. Frankly for all top 8. That would be interesting and helpful.

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SkyScorcher

• let them eat pi
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 10:39:33 PM »
I don't even remember how old they are by the time they stop mouthing everything. Oh wait--I do: 14.

I resent that.  I stopped mouthing things at eight, thankyouverymuch.  ;)
Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!

Peanut, treenut (except hazelnuts), egg.

Western US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 07:21:47 AM »
I don't even remember how old they are by the time they stop mouthing everything. Oh wait--I do: 14.

I resent that.  I stopped mouthing things at eight, thankyouverymuch.  ;)

Some never stop.  They just eventually switch to chewing pencils or smoking cigarettes.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 06:57:32 PM »
Our situation is opposite yours, but we have our older eat eggs when he is with his grandparents or when we all split up for the day. Our home is egg free, so we take M to McD's or have Nana and Pop scramble some up.

The boys are never apart more than a few hours.  While M no longer mouths things (well not on a regular basis) he does still suck on his fingers when he's not physically engaged. The boys are constantly rough housing and I've never seen C react in anyway. But then again, I have no clue if he is contact reactive.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)