login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: "But they handle it well." Why you should still get a 504  (Read 2181 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
"But they handle it well." Why you should still get a 504
« on: September 12, 2013, 07:59:14 AM »
I'm willing to bet that most of us who have 504 at one point before we got the 504said, "Oh, my school deals with food allergies just fine. They're good about things and already have great policies in place."  And this may in fact have been true. The school may have been awesome. And based on what several members here without 504s have said, some schools have been awesome. I believe them.

But one of the reasons that this community has touted as a reason to get a 504 is that policies and people can change.

After reading a nightmarish story about such changes, I thought it might be helpful to have a thread for it--for discussing this and for pointing out illustrative stories.

Here's that nightmarish story:

http://www.allergickid.com/2013/09/school-policy-gone-wrong-surviving-food.html?m=0
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: "But they handle it well." Why you should still get a 504
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »
Bump. Because everyone should read what happened to this child's safety.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts