vegtable oil

Started by anxious, September 24, 2013, 06:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anxious

anxious

Also, I'm not a baker but if a receipe calls for vegtable oil, will olive oil still work?

twinturbo

YMMV. We have a LOT of allergens, including peanut. We use Wesson canola oil and Mazola corn oil specifically for a mix of Vit E and Omega 3's.

Olive oil has a lower smoking point than other oils. There is such a recipe as olive oil cake but I don't know if you can substitute all oils in a typical cake recipe for olive oil--even olive oil cake. Pure olive oil (the grade) is going to be more neutral in flavor than extra virgin olive oil.

lakeswimr

For baking I use Whole Foods organic canola oil.  I haven't called in a while but when I did it was allergy-free for us and we have nut/peanut and more.

Princess Cheese

I have a bottle of vegetable oil from Walmar (Great Value brand) that reads safe.
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

becca

I have baked with olive oil, but not extra virgin, which has a definite taste to it.  Just the regualar oliv oil.  Only in a chocolate, eggless cake cake. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

hedgehog

I have made cake with olive oil when I ran out of veg oil.  It does add a flavor to the cake.  I liked it (vanilla cake with raspberry filling).  But individual tastes may vary.
USA

Jessica

I use the lightest olive oil for baking (the virgin stuff for sauteing). I've been doing this for years now and no one has complained yet. lol
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

CMdeux

^ same here.

I do occasionally buy Kirkland brand canola (for frying; only because it has a higher smoke-point than olive oil).

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview