login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Tom's of Maine proprietary ingredients  (Read 3211 times)

Description:

twinturbo

Tom's of Maine proprietary ingredients
« on: September 30, 2013, 12:12:21 PM »
The kids use their products. Just putting it out there while they say there are no undisclosed ingredients they do have some undisclosed proprietary flavorings which they will "yes/no" if you ask if it's in there. The problem is that you have to play your odds that you're asking for the right allergen.

The first is hops which I initially was concerned was related to barley (one child ana to barley). Despite being in beer with wheat, barley and rye, hops is completely unrelated. I confirmed this with a university senior researcher in plants.

The other is chamomile (aster family) which affects a couple people here I think.

Not a huge deal if you're concerned only with top 8 but there's some flavoring surprises that won't be disclosed. However, if you go to the flavorings page on the website you could at least whittle down which flavorings you need to inquire about. I respectfully requested that for the sake of consistency in order to fulfill their statement that all ingredients are disclosed that they actually do it. Right now not only are there undisclosed flavorings which won't be revealed specifically unless you guess correctly, the product ingredient list online doesn't always match the label on the product itself.

jschwab

Re: Tom's of Maine proprietary ingredients
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »
Wow, that is really frustrating. I had to stop using my Tom's toothpaste right away after this new nut allergy kicked in. Not sure why but it made my mouth and lip swell. I am back to Weleda Salt Toothpaste. I *think* they are good at labeling. Weleda costs some bit more than cocaine per ounce ???, though, so it hurts to fork over the cash...

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
We've had 2 kids have reactions to Toms of Maine deodorant.

Only DH can still use with no reax.

Bummer.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:16:43 AM »
It's ridiculous to advertise no hidden ingredients while actually refusing to reveal all ingredients. Make up your mind, Tom's. Hiding it means taking away the claim no hidden ingredients.

jschwab

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »
It's ridiculous to advertise no hidden ingredients while actually refusing to reveal all ingredients. Make up your mind, Tom's. Hiding it means taking away the claim no hidden ingredients.

What I love is how they say they understand it could be a problem not to know all the ingredients and people should just try it and "see how they feel". Um, no, that's not how it should work!