Cookie recipe without soy, milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts?

Started by GingerPye, October 27, 2013, 09:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GingerPye

I am making cookies for all of the drama kids at the high school, for their dress rehearsal night on Tuesday.  All of the drama booster parents provide a meal for dress rehearsal, and I signed up for dessert.  My two kids have allergies to milk, eggs, peanuts, and tree nuts --- so we are making cookies that are safe for my kids.

One other student has a peanut and soy allergy, and his mom avoids all soy, including soybean oil and soy lecithin.

Does anyone have a cookie recipe that does not use soy?  I would like to avoid milk and eggs as well so that my kids can eat them, too.

My margarine has soy and my shortening has soy.  Need to figure out something else.

(cross-posting here with the soy thread)
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Janelle205

GP, while I don't have a recipe, Earth Balance does have a tub margarine that is soy free, if that would work.  The container has red accents - I can find it at wal-mart and in the health food section at the local grocery.

becca

Is coconut oil safe for all of you?  I bet that would taste good in Choc chip cookies.  Palm oil? 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Mfamom

my sil uses coconut oil in a lot of my nephew's food.  He's avoiding all of the above but ok with eggs. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

GingerPye

I tried the Earth Balance soy-free margarine, and it worked well/tasted really good!

Thanks everyone for the good ideas.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

hk

GP - I have dozens of egg, dairy and nut-free cookie recipes. I have an amazing chocolate chip cookie recipe if you can use Enjoy Life chips or some others.  It uses canola oil instead of margarine.  People beg me to make them all the time.  Let me know if you think it would work and I'll post it once I get DD off for the day.  I'll go through my two vegan cookie cookbooks too.

booandbrimom

GP, too late for your school activity, but one of my favorite cookie recipes is just taking Town House crackers and covering in a layer of peppermint icing, and then bittersweet chocolate. Everything does contain soy lecithin though. They taste just like Girl Scout cookies!

Another really easy one I use a lot is Total bars. Stir a cup of white Karo syrup in a saucepan with 3/4 cup Sunbutter. (I think there is a soy warning on Sunbutter though...) Add something like 5 cups of Total cereal. Spread in a pan while still warm and cover with safe chocolate chips. These are really great!
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

GingerPye

Thanks, boo --- those sound really good!  This boy cannot eat any soy; I don't know how allergic he is, but he is not allowed soy oil or lecithin.  So that makes it really tough.

I managed to make good gingerbread cookies for him with the Earth Balance margarine.  I was surprised at how well it worked.  I also made frosting with it --- that didn't work out so well -- it was very thick and difficult to put on, but it tasted good just the same.

Still, as careful as I was and even with being a FA mom, I was nervous about giving him cookies that I made.  You'd think I would know what to do to keep him safe --- and technically I do, but still, I was pretty worried.  Worried enough that I plan not to make anything for another FA kid again, other than my own two, LOL.   :-/
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

GingerPye

Oh, those look delicious!  My kids def would eat those.  Printing . . .
Also copying boo's recipes.  Thanks for these recipes, ladies!
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

booandbrimom

Quote from: GingerPye on November 26, 2013, 09:08:59 AM
Still, as careful as I was and even with being a FA mom, I was nervous about giving him cookies that I made.  You'd think I would know what to do to keep him safe --- and technically I do, but still, I was pretty worried.  Worried enough that I plan not to make anything for another FA kid again, other than my own two, LOL.   :-/

I totally agree - it always stresses me out to cook for other kids. Gingerbread was a great idea! It is SO hard to avoid soy lecithin...I don't know how people who need to do it pull it off.
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

GingerPye

any idea why the oat bran has an asterick in the fruitcake cookies?

oh, duh.  I found it.  never mind!
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

hezzier

Quote from: GingerPye on November 26, 2013, 09:32:33 AM
any idea why the oat bran has an asterick in the fruitcake cookies?

oh, duh.  I found it.  never mind!

took me reading twice to find it also

krasota

Those cookies would also be easy to make gluten-free.  Hrm . . . maybe. . . .

As for avoiding soy lecithin . . . I just do it.  I like breathing.   :dunno:
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

CMdeux

LOL-- exactly, krasota.

We keep some lecithin-ey things in the house-- but DH really has to be careful with them.

Quote from: booandbrimom on November 26, 2013, 09:30:34 AM
Quote from: GingerPye on November 26, 2013, 09:08:59 AM

I totally agree - it always stresses me out to cook for other kids. Gingerbread was a great idea! It is SO hard to avoid soy lecithin...I don't know how people who need to do it pull it off.

Gingerbread was always our go-to winter dessert when DD was soy- and wheat- allergic in addition to avoiding eggs and nuts.

The molasses and spices really hide a lot in terms of alternative flours and funky tastes.  :hiding:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview