Boy may have been cured of peanut allergy with bone marrow transplant

Started by littlenuts, November 08, 2013, 06:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

Wow. That is really interesting. I hope it helps us make progress in determining why the increase in FA and a (different) treatment.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

littlenuts

I thought so too. I think it says in this article (or I read someplace else after googling it, I don't remember), that this isn't the first time people have been cured of allergy after a bone marrow transplant.
Of course a transplant isn't a reasonable treatment, but perhaps knowing this will lead to new research.

CMdeux

I'm finding it rather frustrating that case studies like this one get so much mainstream press, while the rest of the conference is garnering SO little.

I mean, I get that this is a LOVELY story in addition to being pretty interesting, but truthfully, there's nothing very surprising about this given that the organ donation-food allergy transference has been known about WELL for over a decade.  This clearly is not a "cure" for most people, any more than the possibility of getting  a shellfish allergy WITH your new liver is a reason to turn down a transplant.

There was a lot of other interesting stuff happening at this particular conference.     I posted a few press releases from it up in Main. :)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview