Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings has a Shellfish Allergy

Started by Macabre, November 22, 2013, 06:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

Adult onset shellfish allergy!

http://allergicliving.com/index.php/2013/11/21/profile-nfl-star-adrian-peterson/?override=US

He had his first reaction last year.  He says he carries his Epi with him at all times.  And nice guy that he is, he's partnered with Mylan.  But poor guy, too--I wonder if he has an Auvi? It's sooooo much easier for guys to carry in their coat pocket. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

momma2boys

Interesting that he didn't react until 30 minutes later. Great article, I'm glad he's doing this!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Macabre

TabiCat

DS' only big reaction was a delayed reaction. He was really little and communication delayed so there is the possibility he was having some symptoms earlier that we didn't notice but his allergist writes in the instructions for the school nurse that he has "a history of delayed reaction"  to ingestion of allergen.
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

jschwab

I read this awhile back while Googling "adult onset allergies". I love his story because you almost never hear people describe so clearly how the Epi eases symptoms. Usually, adults (who are better at articulating their experiences) have a reaction THEN get the Epi and avoid and never have this experience. Peterson was lucky that his trainer was able to help right away.

Macabre

jschwab

momma2boys

Many of the reactions ds has had, we didn't know what exactly caused them so I'm not sure about time frame. His bad sesame reaction though, was very fast. Probably within ten minutes he started complaining of a very bad headache. We were at a burger king near mall so we went to mall searching for ibuprofen. Never found it so got in car to head home, about an hour away, in a snowstorm. He then started vomiting and I gave him benedryl on a fluke. So there was an immediate or almost immediate response, with other delayed symptoms. I knew it was sesame reaction when four hours after benedryl he felt worse. Allergist tested him at next appt and he said it was the highest positive he's ever seen.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

twinturbo

I've got to give it to Mylan. They signed up an incredibly eloquent and intelligent celebrity spokesperson.

jschwab

Quote from: twinturbo on November 22, 2013, 12:17:38 PM
I've got to give it to Mylan. They signed up an incredibly eloquent and intelligent celebrity spokesperson.

Um, and not to diminish his intellect and elocution but the hunk factor does not hurt, either.

twinturbo

Yeah, he's a home run on all points. Camera friendly, athletic, thoughtful. Having boys I think he's an extremely powerful and positive role model for talking about anaphylaxis and carrying meds. Not that there's anything wrong with Jo Frost who is also quite thoughtful, personable and articulate but I'm not sure boys would relate necessarily.

Mylan's spokesperson choices have been well selected. They embody the practice of living fully with food allergy, which is typically lip service drivel. I find both Frost and Peterson genuine and capable when they speak about life with food allergies. And it's them not their kids so they've got the first hand experience.

Macabre

TabiCat

Quote from: Macabre on November 22, 2013, 10:10:05 AM
Hmmm . . . do y'all think of 20 or 30 minutes as delayed?  I do not.

no I was just responding to the statement that it was interesting that he reacted 30 min later. I was just trying to point out reacting after 30 min is not that uncommon.

I don't know exactly what normal time frame is but have heard people ( medical professional's included) say that allergic reactions are immediate.

Anyway never mind didn't mean to confuse anyone.
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

hezzier

It's possible he just didn't recognize the first signs if they were mild.  The persistent cough that DS experiences after the initial itching (this was before we knew it was an allergic reaction) is delayed.  It happened both times he reacted to nuts (second time led to diagnosis).

Mookie86

Quote from: Macabre on November 22, 2013, 03:01:35 PM
Oh my goodness, he is gorgeous. I had never seen him before.
Is someone becoming more of a Vikings fan?  ;)

Kidding aside, he sounds like a great role model for FA people and has the clout to have people listen to his message.  And yes, let's hope we see him in some TV ads marketing epi-pens.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview