login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Christmas Dinners  (Read 6371 times)

Description: What are you making?

Offline momtoAidenDeclan

Christmas Dinners
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »
I'll be back later to share...I need DH to come home and plug in my lap top - I'm losing power and am stuck in bed with my foot up...
Main dish will be Cornish Game Hens - we change the menu every year... :)
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

Offline MaryM

Re: Christmas Dinners
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 01:21:16 PM »
Standing rib roast for us this year!  My formerly beef allergic DS is very excited!

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 01:25:51 PM »
If I'm in charge of the roast at my sister's house, then it will be beef tenderloin.  We haven't planned it yet.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 01:34:16 PM »
I think beef tenderloin for us(just the 4 of us).  I have my brother's family on the weekend after Christmas so maybe will do a turkey.  It would be one of the few things everyone will eat, sparing me making 2 entrees.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline eragon

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 01:57:09 PM »
I will be doing the usual this year,

starters,
Prawn cocktail,/pate and crackers/smoked salmon with bread and butter lemon wedges

main.
roast turkey
sage and onion stuffing  chestnut stuffing
roast potatos, parsnips
bacon wrapped sausages
bread sauce
cranberry sauce
peas/carrots/brussel sprouts

sweet course

christmas pudding, with warm brandy poured over and set alight.

lemon cello cheese cake

nut and milk free cakes

mince pies (nut and milk free) 

brandy butter

trifle.

cheese and biscuits

coffee and mints.

Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 02:33:34 PM »
DH wants Yorkshire pudding. 

Offline buttons

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 05:01:16 PM »
Ooh I love Yorkshire pudding.  These menus sound so good.  My 20 year old DS said he'd like to cook Christmas dinner for us - will be just the four of us.  He enjoys cooking, but he's never done a full meal.  The dirty kitchen stories in V & D are in my future, lol, but I'm psyched.  For my contribution, I'm going to make one of those Yule logs with the meringue mushrooms.  A first for me too.  Good thing it's just us.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 10:06:39 PM »
Googled Yorkshire pudding.  I have heard of it, but not ever seen or had it.  It look slike something I call popovers.  Same thing or similar?  Sort fo an eggy batter with a poof to it, like a souffle, but more like a roll, sort of?
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 08:18:27 AM »
My understanding is popovers are individual servings of Yorkshire pudding. 

For Christmas Eve we are having beef tenderloin roast (delicious, elegant, and quick to prepare after work, as opposed to a bigger roast). I am seasoning by pulverizing dried mushrooms in food processor and coating meat with it.  Sooooo good!  Sides will be roasted veggies, hopefully asparagus, butI it depends on what I find at the store, and potatoes.  Dessert will be cookies that are already made and in freezer.  Apps will be whatever I decide is easy to make.
USA

Offline MaryM

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 08:30:59 AM »
Like a popover but made in a cast iron skillet with the beef drippings.  It's really good but so bad.  DH calls it grease pie but he loves it.  It is very eggy which is why I do not want to make it since neither kid can have it. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 11:53:27 PM »
Pumpkin Tamales

:)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 10:10:05 AM »
The guys are asking for hot pot. I need to get on order of operations on allergens to make that work.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »
If it weren't for FA's, we'd probably do the traditional Jewish Christmas dinner of Chinese food.  ;)

Though truth be told, I've never done that.  That's another chapter of the manual that my parents apparently missed.  ;D
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

twinturbo

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 01:49:06 PM »
A true mutual American Christmas tradition helping to pay for many a college tuition!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 03:58:10 PM »
LOL.

We're doing Lasagna again, since it was so delicious the first time, and everyone coming over likes the idea, too.  I like that I can prep all the sides and everything ahead of time, then just pull it out of the oven 20 minutes before we eat.  Will do a fancy schmancy green salad and maybe some garlic breadsticks with it.

If I'm feeling REALLY saucy, I might even make a pretzel-coated cheese ball (a hedgehog cheese ball) to go with some crackers while we all wait.

Thinking chocolate mousse or dessert tamales of some kind.

We're just having friends over and they're pretty eager to do low-key, too-- they've been selling Christmas trees for a month.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.