login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 504 "carries over"?  (Read 2318 times)

Description:

Offline MomTo3

504 "carries over"?
« on: January 01, 2014, 12:26:52 PM »
I always hear people say how having a 504 plan in place when kids are young is helpful esp. when they go to college. My question is how does this happen?  We are only in first here so have a way to go but I was even thinking between elementary school and middle school?  Same district but how does it work? I know they told me they may ask to review eligibility now and then (though I don't seen anything changing anytime soon. We've had recent failed challenges, PN, TN allergies with IgE in the 100's and Celiac which isn't going anywhere). 

I'm just trying to figure out how the eligibility works and I've always heard "once eligible, pretty much always eligible" but was wondering what others have worked through.

twinturbo

Re: 504 "carries over"?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 12:41:32 PM »
As long as the condition that met eligibility requirements hasn't changed eligibility should not change. I believe the review is about seeing if the qualifying condition has changed (then you supply "no" w/docs if necessary), the accommodations will most likely be what is contested under the correct or incorrect notion that they are age and developmentally specific.

The key change on the student's side of things happens once elementary and secondary schooling is finished. The burden shifts from the K12 school district's responsibility to Child Find students with disabilities to college/uni where the students must self-identify through student services. FAPE ends and a reasonable standard for accommodations begins.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 12:48:44 PM »
It depends on the nature of the qualifying limitation-- and how persistent that limitation is.

That is, will mitigation or coping skills which develop through adolescence eventually cause the child to be more or less unimpaired relative to peers?  Or not?

With anaphylaxis history, it's fairly clear that the answer will always be "not."  That is, a factor which isn't a factor for most peers can cause havoc educationally for a student with life-threatening food allergy.  Diabetes would be another great example; it's not enough to have great management, because occasionally factors outside of your own control will impact the condition and cause things to spiral OUT of control.

KWIM?

A college or university will have an office/individual that deals with accommodations and ADA compliance.  Contacting that person early on is important, but self-identifying TOO early (in application materials) may be unwise. 

We're in the process of doing this right now.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I know that several other members have done this over the past decade.  Maybe Boo or Peg would weigh in?  Ginger and Bensmom will also be going through this same process this year, as all of us have graduating seniors this year.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 12:54:11 PM »
I think it's worth mentioning it's going to be a radically different experience from our 2014 first graders getting a 504 for FA in college in the future than the group of kids going in to college w/FA now and self-identifying for 504 accommodations.

For example ( :misspeak:) DH's office is down the hall from student services who put out a jar of PB as a 'welcome' for students and lots of lots of candy. I can't tell you how often they've tried to feed my little one.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »
We have a college 504 thread we should link to.

In fact in thinking a sub board where we can put college things.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MomTo3

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:53:29 AM »
I think I have it ;)  As long as there isn't any change (i.e. passed challenge or miracle cure) once a kiddo has one it's difficult to get it taken away.  What is within the doc can and will based on age/setting/ability.