login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: FAACT  (Read 3417 times)

Description: Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Connection Team

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
FAACT
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:42:31 PM »
Do we have thread started about this new group?

http://www.foodallergyawareness.org/about/

Some of the staff will be familiar to members here.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline SilverLining

Re: FAACT
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:50:21 PM »
So, another group asking for donations.

What makes them better than (different from?) FAAN?  Is splitting the money beneficial in some way?  It seems to me, no.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 08:59:58 PM »
I think the list of "who's in charge" of certain areas is interesting . . . and interesting that the founder was someone who did not stay on and/or was not continued as FAAN merged with FAI to become FARE . . .

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:01:52 PM »
I looked at it when Links first posted about it. I remember liking the staff attorney. Like in the sense of seemed both capable and willing.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:06:33 PM »
Here is link to original posting (by our Links) where it is more of an FYI and not a "discuss this" area . . .

FAACT

So, I'm going to leave this crosspost as to same topic here so we can discuss, if folks want.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 09:11:44 PM »

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:19:46 PM »
I think they're more of a hardline advocacy on ADA issues. In my eyes FARE has embraced the disease model (finally) and will work equally with the CDC, NIH, immunology associations, pharm, research for treatments of allergic disease.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 09:30:06 PM »
Well, heaven knows we need one of those, because the airline industry is pushing back BUT HARD on FA passengers right now.   :-/

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 09:47:20 PM »
Expanding on my earlier post I don't see them as redundant as long as they remain dedicated to civil rights issues. Having said that their message still leaves me unsure what they specifically would do if say I called. Point me to another resource? File on my behalf like P&A CAP? Send me to a link I already know? Lobby?

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »
Well, they are newly launched, so we'll have to watch to see if more details and clearly defined mission and services . . .

twinturbo

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »
I did read their mission statement. I also looked over their resources, more closely a second time on the heels of your posting than Link's initial one. I still didn't get specifically what they do for a membership that can't be done elsewhere. It wasn't enough to really make me think of posting about it myself one way or another, but since it was brought up my thoughts are it's a crack team, but the resources are aggregated from other organizations like Anaphylaxis Canada.

Team Anaphylaxis I got from the name alone. It made immediate sense. What I do think is unique about FAACT and IMHO would be their most valuable contribution that is absolutely needed is their work with teens both now as teens and as a support for empowerment as they make the transition into adulthood. That generation of kids that first wave is coming of age. Empowering them to function in a world where they are essentially trailblazing is vital, helping them develop a voice for self-advocacy, the ability to determine for themselves, to organize themselves. Well, on that end I'm quite willing to cede what has been for the most part determined by an army of allergy moms to the ascending FA teens becoming adults to determine the course for themselves. That generational shift is coming might as well be as prepared as possible for it.

My two unsolicited pennies. The cheap questionably metal kind, not the solid copper ones.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:40:22 PM by twinturbo »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 03:00:35 PM »
I'm not going to form an opinion of them yet ... just watch.

I have a lot of respect for some of the individuals in the new org like Sara Shannon, who has done so much for the community.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 10:58:25 AM »
Whatever this new group can do to make life better for people with allergies will be greatly appreciated!  I wish them many successes and look forward to watching their work.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 11:48:36 AM »
I did read their mission statement. I also looked over their resources, more closely a second time on the heels of your posting than Link's initial one. I still didn't get specifically what they do for a membership that can't be done elsewhere. It wasn't enough to really make me think of posting about it myself one way or another, but since it was brought up my thoughts are it's a crack team, but the resources are aggregated from other organizations like Anaphylaxis Canada.

Team Anaphylaxis I got from the name alone. It made immediate sense. What I do think is unique about FAACT and IMHO would be their most valuable contribution that is absolutely needed is their work with teens both now as teens and as a support for empowerment as they make the transition into adulthood. That generation of kids that first wave is coming of age. Empowering them to function in a world where they are essentially trailblazing is vital, helping them develop a voice for self-advocacy, the ability to determine for themselves, to organize themselves. Well, on that end I'm quite willing to cede what has been for the most part determined by an army of allergy moms to the ascending FA teens becoming adults to determine the course for themselves. That generational shift is coming might as well be as prepared as possible for it.

My two unsolicited pennies. The cheap questionably metal kind, not the solid copper ones.

I, too, have read bios and mission there . . . . and am still unsure as to their core focus and/or think that they may be going too broad as to mission vs all the other resources out there?

Teen focus, totally agree with all you said there. 

The medical advisory team is interesting and varied -- lots of names and resources not previously on my radar.  Variety of experts is GOOD!

Just wondering if there is enough $ to go around so far as donations and grants . . .

twinturbo

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 08:41:56 PM »
For sure I've learned from many at FAS that while I do not yet have a (chronological) teen it's both shortsighted and not offering really the support I should in broader terms. Up until now I've pretty much not paid any attention to the teen allergy camps. In retrospect I judge that to be too selfish and not truly how I would prefer to think in multiple directions about adolescence and growing up with allergies.

The K12 experience is kind of solidifying for my kids' generation and I've definitely received support there. While it still needs constant throttle to keep the pressure on, once again the veteran moms and experienced FA teens/YA are blazing a trail into a new era, or is that areas? What does that mean in terms of organizations, needs and support? I think it means those families and individuals need a type of support to make advancement as they trail blaze yet again. So those of us with younger kids who get the support from the work that has been done should also lend support on that advancing front. To that end my perception around teen advocacy and organization activities like Teen Allergy Camp has gone from disinterest to high asset, a necessary evolution.

Not that I'm saying that no one else has thought it, of course but that my perception from having younger kids needing the majority of community support to what do the kids entering college need in terms of college, work, support network. It was hard for me to look beyond preschool and elementary school. For me I think it will come in the form of coughing up some donation for the next TAG whoever runs it.

After running my change in perspective through DH it may not be a bad idea for him to write an article as a college prof on how accommodations are absolutely necessary in postsecondary setting not solely in legal terms but in the instructor's and school's best interest and consideration due to college students. I'm not sure of the best framing but good points to nail would be retention rates, etc.

I may contact them with this. It's essentially creating a reference article on Chronicles of Higher Ed. They may be interested or have ideas on improvement, topic and publicizing. Then I wouldn't actually be able to say that I'm not connected to them. :P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:50:02 PM by twinturbo »