login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: WWYD?  (Read 8348 times)

Description: party treats

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
WWYD?
« on: February 11, 2014, 07:07:51 AM »
So, I never know what to do in this situation, because my general rule was to never have dd eat what other parents made at home for elementary school parties. 

Ds has 2 kids in his class with gluten or wheat issues, then there is also MA, and PA. 

So, I am signed up to bake a sweet snack.  I figured it is easy enough for me to go get a Cherry brook mix or two and do cookies or cupcakes, get the gluten free mix, and I think that covers me for PA.  I can ask a mom about dairy free shortening if it is needed. 

But, then I always worry, what I what I make is cross contaminated(it surely could be with gluten)?  granted, it is the decision of another family to make, and the kids seem pretty losse and would possibly eat other stuff that has that risk.  But I have a moral dilemma about if they reacted to something I made, and how awful I would feel. 

So, then I think, I should just make what is ok for my kid(no allergies) and hope their parents send a treat for them.  They have not in the past.  These 2 kids choose from what is safe(chips or popcorn, and fruit) and clearly look longingly at the treats and ask me a few times if it might be safe.  :(  I suggest to them they ask their moms to send something special fo rthem next time.   :dunno:

Do you make a safe treat for all?  Or just leave it to other parents to handle the kids' allergies.  Then, the kids do whatever they do, hopefully according to their family policy for their allergens.  Oh, if I do make something safe, I plan to contact the 3 parents I know about, and mention it and ask for safe shortening, mixes, etc...  I have to shop anyway, and no biggie for me to get what is safe, either way. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hedgehog

Re: WWYD?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 07:20:24 AM »
If cherrybrook covers all the allergens, I might pick up the mix, as well as a new cheap whisk, mixing bowl, etc. and disposable foil pans to avoid any cross contamination with nothing I already own.  And of course, pass it by the other parents.

I actually basically did that years ago for two of DD's classmates for a birthday party at our house.  Except it was pizza, which i made a gluten-free crust for.  And the mother greatly appreciated it.
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 07:37:51 AM »
I try to make what can't hurt being around. I do like the idea of getting a cheap whisk and new bowl. But I know if DS were GF I wouldn't feel comfy. But these parents don't have that issue?

At a meal where I was providing dessert (and a meal I knew the cast member with celiac couldn't eat), I bought her a tiny box of Amy's GF maple cookies. :)

Are Enjoy Life GF? 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 07:46:33 AM »
Well, one kid is GF, and milk and peanut free.  But, they are pretty lax.  i htink he took rice crisy treats last time, and, unless his mother made them, they had little m&ms on them!  As room-mom, and with no offical info on the allergies given to me, I leave it to the teacher.  So, not sure exactly what his allergies are.  Come to think of it, two of the kids have been left with me at Bday parties in the past and not epis!!  I always knew they had allergies and I always had epi on me, so kept that in my back pocket. 

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 07:52:39 AM »
I don't know what I would do, but I think your concerns are justified.

In this thread, 5th post down, you'll find some discussions about this type of thing.
504 index- Examples of accommodation possibilities and/or considerations

"The Allergen-Free Cake That Wasn’t" article was interesting to me.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 08:07:43 AM »
I would not provide homemade.

I would provide only commercial items that, according to labels and information provided by the manufacturer, are acceptable for the allergies and other med needs.

Why commercially prepared and not homemade? The liability rests MORE on the manufacturer than on you.  Plus you might be able to get official "OK" from parents for certain brand name items.  Would be clearer for everybody.

Homemade has too much risk for Xcontam. 

And homemade has YOU holding the legal liability (well, you and your homeowner/liability coverage).  Truly something to consider, IMHO, in this day and age.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 08:52:26 AM »
after I made cookies for a soy-allergic kid at school last fall --- worked so hard to keep everything soy-free and no cross-contamination --- even tho the kid ate them, liked them, and had no reaction, I've decided it is not worth it. 
Sooooo not worth it.

I really fretted that this kid might have a reaction, even tho I, a food allergy mom, had made the cookies and I really do know what it takes to make something allergy-free ---- but there's always that chance that even I had somehow contaminated the cookies with soy.
And if  a reaction had happened, I would never have forgiven myself. 
Just ain't worth it.

In your case, I would call the parents of the FA kids and talk it through with them.  See what you all can come up with so all the kids can participate.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

twinturbo

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »
Having a child with a history of anaphylaxis to wheat/barley I've found that we're the statistical anomaly in a sea of "gluten free kids". I don't even know what that means that a kid is gluten free. For the class I'd just bring some whole fruit like bananas and mandarin oranges and little waters. Fruit they can peel.

Offline maeve

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 09:40:20 AM »
I'd echo ajas and recommend something commercially prepared and individually wrapped.  Why individually wrapped, because sometimes the other volunteers who serve the food don't wash their hands. This happened to us every party even when the room moms had gone to the trouble to get "safe" food. The parties were always after lunch, the moms usually had other preschool children in tow, and they never washed their hands before serving. I always came prepared with backup food for DD.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 09:43:41 AM »
 Someone else is doing fruit. I am signed up got the sweet treat. Usually these kids just skip over an obvious unsafe treat. My options are something safe for all or just bake nut free, which is the only recommendation for the class.  I will not find a single packaged product safe for all.  We Are also being sure to send a safe candy with our Valentine.

Personally, I always was sure my dd had something safe from home for these things.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:47:24 AM by becca »

twinturbo

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 09:45:41 AM »
Enjoy Life and you're done.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 10:40:11 AM »
Having a child with a history of anaphylaxis to wheat/barley I've found that we're the statistical anomaly in a sea of "gluten free kids". I don't even know what that means that a kid is gluten free. For the class I'd just bring some whole fruit like bananas and mandarin oranges and little waters. Fruit they can peel.

Bingo.  Or this:

Enjoy Life and you're done.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 10:55:30 AM »
Seriously on the fruit and water. It's my method of saying F your snack list.

Not directed at becca I have nothing but love for her Boston butt (see pulled pork thread).

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »
 Oh I have already died on that hill at this school. It is not changing, though some changes were made.  I committed social suicide when my dd went there.

This is for my son, who has no allergies, but I have empathy for the kids who look longingly at the treats. 

twinturbo

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 11:07:19 AM »
 :yes: That's what a rational person would do. I strive to be rational most times.

Then I get wild notions that I'm going to conquer the hill and later watch the body of my enemies float down the river before me.