gluten free canned soups?

Started by becca, March 05, 2014, 02:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

becca

Anyone?  For me.  I think I have deduced, wheat bothers me.  Looking for gf soup as I recover from a tummy bug.  Chicken noodle would be my go-to, but they all are wheat, and I do not know any specialty brands for GF stuff. 

Thanks.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

momma2boys

Sorry, I don't know, but my niece eats gluten free and I know there is an app my sister got on her phone and you can check and see if there is gluten in an item.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

GoingNuts

I have a couple of buddies with celiac; I'll send out an email to ask them.

If you can find a GF chicken broth, you can add some sliced carrots and rice noodles (I know you want to keep your glycemic load down, but a few rice noodles might do your tummy good).
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Macabre

Amy's has some GF soups. Their No-chicken noodle is NOT among them.

Their soups that are that might work for you in this state:
Organic Summer Corn & Vegetable
Orgabic Hearty French country vegetable soup (?)

They have a lot of GF soups. But many are spicy for now.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Macabre

Egads. I see Amy's in their special site section, has a link to our first home!!! 

GoingNuts

My 2 celiac buddies have no idea.  One is new to it and hasn't looked for them yet, the other never uses them.  Sorry.  :-[
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

twinturbo

The ones I can think of being gluten free at least nominally will not be glycemic index friendly or may be too taxing on your carb limit.

becca

Not to worried about carbs for a day or two, and would not be able to eat enough volume.

I guess it is just easy enough to sick with the brown rice in some broth. Put a bit of chicken in it. I think I will be better by the time I find something convenient. 

I generally make at least one pot of soup each week, but wasn't feeling up to it. 

Macabre

You know, maybe you should make some, out then in ice cube trays and then in freezer bags for times like this becca.

YouKnowWho

Thai Kitchen has gluten free ramen like packets.  (Usually in the ethnic section of the store)

Progresso offers several gluten free soups (chicken and rice is gf).

Health Valley Organics?

I typically find it on the soup aisle but it is usually set aside with the organic soups or in the dedicated GF/dietetic aisle if your store offers that. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

becca

Thanks YKW.  Just got back from my errand to get a ripe banana(another story, lol) and found Progresso chicken and rice.  I had not yet read your reply.  But I grabbed 2 cans for furture needs.  I think I am past the soup only stage.  Progresso had other soups that did not say "gluten free", but had no wheat ingredients, that I could tell.  But I do not know about hidden wheat.  I hope I do not have to be that vigilant for my issues. 

I do not have celiac(at least testing has been negative, both blood and biopsy).  But I think I get some terrible belly aches when I overdo it.  Noticed that ever since cutting way back.  Figure better to avoid as much as possible.  I also noticed my arthritic finger joints were less painful and swollen when I went without wheat completely for 6 weeks or so. 

Anyway, so coming off of a stomach virus, I figure best to avoid wheat entirely, since I think I have some issue with it. 

Thanks for the help, everyone.  :)

twinturbo

They can have barley or rye without needing to disclose under FALCPA. I use some of the Imagine butternut squash soups they're rice flour thickened. I don't know where that puts you on the carb load.

becca

Looked it up.  20 carbs in 1 cup.  I can do that, especially if I added protein to it, and some fat.  Those will delay spikes.  I could also water it down if I were sick and it was tasting good.

The chicken rice has 14 carbs per 1 cup. 

I try to stay under 50-100 carbs a day, and when I am trying to lose weight, under 50 is a goal, but hardly doable everyday!  Even my Greek yogurt has carbs, unsweetened, so they add up quickly.  But the under 50 is not to control my BG, just to try to stay at a decent weight, work on cholesterol, etc... 

But, with illness, I just eat what my tummy can tolerate.  A few days a little carb heavy is not a problem. not for me at this time. 

krasota

Pacific has some tetra-pak style GF cream of soups.  I'm pretty sure they're also egg-free.  Can't eat them right now due to DD's dairy issues. 

Imagine has some soup cartons, too. 

With carrot, tomato, soy, and wheat allergies . . . I just don't really do pre-packaged soups.

Oh!  Back when I could do it, we used Amy's canned lentil soup as a base for other soups. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

candyguru

In my area of Canada:

Campbells chicken with rice canned soup has a gluten-free label
Some varieties of Imagine soup have gluten-free labels (tetra pak containers)
Wolfgang Puck chicken with rice canned soup has a gluten-free label

but always check labels in your area

:)
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview