Any Ideas?!?!?!

Started by jenavy21, March 05, 2014, 10:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenavy21

Hey Everyone,
I am hoping any of you have experienced this or have any ideas or suggestions. 

This really was my worse case scenario!!

Did skin testing today.  Reacted to ZERO foods....
When it cam to inhaled we had only done, dog, rabbit, horse, and mixed feather.
The only thing I reacted to was horse......

Blood test before had dog at high level 3 and nothing today. 
Dog has always been positive on blood and skin MULTIPLE times.  So we do not know why it was negative today.

Unfortunately horse was not drawn on blood so we cannot compare to what level it would be on blood with reaction to skin.

Allergist seemed a bit stumped and said sometimes this can happen where testing is not accurate on every person all the time.

Original plan was to do food challenges for the main 3 suspected by multiple reactions.   After today.   Allergist is suggesting we hold off and get time with me being reaction free and reevaluate later.  Said regardless of anything at this point, eating the way I am is helping so should continue.  Also said given history I will always have to carry Epi regardless.....

I guess my questions is have any of you heard of any other medical conditions that could mimic food allergic reactions to same foods with anaphylaxis?

Thanks

SilverLining

are we related?

I have false negatives.  Two of my kids also have false negatives.

Mine are food allergies, their's are non-food.  (Mould, cat.)

CMdeux

My DD has had false negatives, too.  She really doesn't skin test very spectacularly at all.

Even things that have caused florid, spectacular anaphylaxis, (egg) she may have a welt the size of a dime, or a little smaller, even.

Okay-- we went on this merry-go-round once.  Not for the same reason, but because we just couldn't fathom that the kind of contact that had to be behind certain reactions was actually causing THAT to happen.

Baseline serum beta tryptase.  Then a standing order (that you keep with you) so that an ER will pull one when you roll in. 

This is so that you know if tryptase levels are rising during a reaction.  Or-- if they are WAY abnormal to begin with.

Mast cell disorders can mimic anaphylactic allergies, and there are some other things that can as well.  I am thinking that eragon has been through some of this stuff with her son and daughter during the past few years.

You live with a LOT of horses around you, right?  It's possible that this is filling up that allergy cup until foods are causing major overflows.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

jenavy21

Thank you to both of you! 

CM  what does that blood level tell you?  Sorry I have never heard of that one.   lol

The horses might be part of it.  But I have been having these reactions for nearly 3 years now and we just moved here a few months ago.  It could explain the increase, especially for that 10 days or so.   The other thing that is really weird was the dog..... I really wish we could have gone back to see a blood level for horses. 

I am going to call primary in the morning so I can talk to her about possibility something else is going on.   We are fairly certain in the 3, but at this point I just really want to make sure something else hasn't been missed, if you know what I mean. 

eragon

feel free to ask any questions if you want.  our son has been going through this for last couple of years.
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

twinturbo

Elimination might help here in the form of in office oral challenges. If you can knock out the major food allergens I think that would provide extremely valuable information to whittle down the source.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview