login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: West Coast (America)  (Read 2899 times)

Description: peanut-free brands?

Offline spacecanada

West Coast (America)
« on: March 24, 2014, 01:19:39 PM »
A friend is travelling with their PA children from Canada through the Western USA (Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, California, Idaho, Oregon).  They are wondering what brands of the following items to look for that will be peanut-free:
- crackers
- bread
- granola bars
- snack foods
- restaurants
Any suggestions?  They are travelling via RV so they will have a place to cook. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: West Coast (America)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 02:25:07 PM »
A friend is travelling with their PA children from Canada through the Western USA (Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, California, Idaho, Oregon).  They are wondering what brands of the following items to look for that will be peanut-free:
- crackers
- bread
- granola bars
- snack foods
- restaurants
Any suggestions?  They are travelling via RV so they will have a place to cook.

In Oregon, Franz breads are safe-- we use their sourdough bread, English muffins, and even their DONUTS, believe it or not.  The chocolate covered ones are pretty good, actually.  :)

Granola bars-- not much-- Enjoy Life is about the only one that I know of.

Snack foods-- honestly, we often look to Canadian brands.  Sabra makes hummus singles, and we use Tillamook cheese in individual packaging, too-- that and local apples (when DD can tolerate them) tend to be go-to items for us. 

Crackers-- Dare and Keebler, as labeled.

Mission and Don Pancho tortillas are also safe and available pretty widely throughout the region identified.

In-N-Out burger in California has a very limited menu which is historically peanut-free.

Burgerville in NW Oregon and SW Washington is amazing for food allergies-- they have a "big book" with the complete run down of the entire menu-- even the milkshakes (regular-- not the specialty ones) are safe.  It's fresh strawberry season now through early June, so that is the seasonal shake flavor.

I also highly recommend their Walla Walla onion rings and the Marionberry/blackberry shakes in late summer are second to NOTHING edible anywhere, IMO.  Really.  There is nothing that I have ever eaten anywhere that I would trade one of those shakes for.  Period.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 02:27:26 PM »
Ling-ling pot-stickers-- no advice, as I have never called on them, but DD's super sensitive and has eaten a lot of them over the past two years.

They come frozen in a big yellow bag-- most local grocery stores will carry them.

Trader Joe's "sunbutter" is Sunbutter, btw. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:00:18 PM »
Quick yes to everything CM wrote. I've talked to Franz extensively they are both very easy to talk to and wicked knowledgable. If I remember correctly the owners' kids have IgE-mediated allergies so they totally get it, at least the rep I talked to. I'd call them directly because only one facility uses peanuts and tree nuts. I think it's where all the cookies are processed. Otherwise they are a great source... BUT I'd be wary of stuff like raisins in their bagels or breads, etc. Just because it's one of those things they wouldn't have control on sourcing and would likely be contaminated.

Granola bars are something I'd recommend stocking up on before leaving Canada. There are some Red Robin restaurants scattered up and down I-5. They are pretty good on allergen lists though I think it's like any place, variable. PF Chang's should be allergy friendly. I can't comment on a lot of the restaurants because my youngest has so many allergens we can't go. There is one pizza place an hour where I am that has decent pizza (I'm a NYer) my nut and egg allergic child has eaten there. It's more for the limited menu than allergy awareness. I could PM you the place if your friend wants NY style pizza.

I've seen a lot of mom & pop Chinese places advertising that they cater to special diets--stay corporate. Oregon and probably Washington to a lesser extent is a haven of psuedoallergies. There's a show called Portlandia that has a skit called the Allergy Pride Parade. Yes, it's satire but for good satire there needs to be a trend in actual existence to satirize. Well, that trendiness conflates with the medical. So beware in our neck of the woods claims that places know about allergies and cater to special diets. Maybe CM can explain it better.

There's a local chain out here called Taco Time, I think it's local. They and some of the other fresh Mex fast food may be safe. Baja Fresh and Taco Del Mar come to mind. Qdoba. Use the menu and allergen chart online if they can. Oh wait, Qdoba uses pine nuts I don't know if that's a problem for friend.

If I can think of anything else in Portland I'll come back. I never ate there after food allergies.

I don't know if it's of interest to friends but we use the Pepperidge Farms Goldfish, mainly the whole grain version but also the cheddar and parmesan. Sun Chips (don't like the artificial colors but should be safe).

Avoid Odwalla drinks and bars.

Washington has sales tax, Oregon doesn't so for any serious purchase think about Oregon. Gassing up here is weird you can't pump your own gas. You'll really want to stock up around Eugene, OR before going south. Can't help beyond that because that's the furthest south I've gone instate. I otherwise start further north to fly to California.

If I can think of any place to stop in Seattle or the rest of the Eastside I'll mention it. Wait, Nature's Path facility in Blaine, Washington is a nut free facility IIRC. DS1 eats those breakfast pastries.

space, it's PA only, right? I ask because DS1 is probably PA only re: nuts. PA only would open up a lot more.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:12:00 PM by twinturbo »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 08:34:43 AM »
They will see Chipotle restaurants. They are sit down quick food. No drive through. Similar to Qdoba and Moe's. I don't know if the latter two are that far wear.

Others that have been fine for DS (but we don't do desserts except ice cream):
Taco Bell
Wendy's
Burger King
Dominoes pizza
Little Ceasar's Pizza

There is a recent thread that hmmmm someone tarted about Californua. It would have ideas. I posted about Chipotle in it. Maybe it's about San Diego.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 09:10:21 AM »
We had good luck at Rubio's.  Lots of locations in CA.  Looks like they have a brownie that may contain PN.  I don't know if they are made there or individually packaged.  We are not PA.

http://www.rubios.com/files/menu/Rubios-Allergen-Chart.pdf

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
Wow, do many great suggestions and information everyone.  This group is fantastic!!  I am forwarding all of this to them.  If you have any further ideas or suggestions, keep posting!

There is a recent thread that hmmmm someone tarted about Californua. It would have ideas. I posted about Chipotle in it. Maybe it's about San Diego.
That was me too, for our own trip.  I have forwarded all of that to this person as well!
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »
Ah! I was thinking that was you but then thought perhaps not.

Glad your friend has you!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts