login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Anybody cook lamb?  (Read 1869 times)

Description: Seasoning ideas...

Offline Janelle205

Anybody cook lamb?
« on: March 27, 2014, 04:37:54 AM »
One of DH's favorite parts of vacationing at the cabin that we are going to is that I generally try to make lots of fun and sort of fancy food.

I picked up a small (2 - 3 serving) rack of lamb at the grocery store to take with us.  I have eaten lamb before, but never made it.

Anyone have any tried and true seasoning or marinade ideas?  Most call for rosemary, and I loathe rosemary.  I may just do something simple - citrus, garlic and probably a few other things, but if anyone has anything tried and true, I would love to hear about it.

You know, when we got married at the same place 2 years ago, I used a cheesecake recipe I got from a member here for our wedding cake.  :)

Offline hedgehog

Re: Anybody cook lamb?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 05:27:46 AM »
Chopped fresh mint, garlic, lemon peel, salt and pepper.  Just smear it on the outside as is, or add a little olive oil.  Roast or grill.  Do NOT overcook. Lamb is so easy, but so expensive.  If not for the price I would make it way more often.
USA

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 07:09:26 AM »
I'll have my probe thermometer that I can leave in to make sure we don't cook it too long.  I had been wanting to try for a while and the grocery had it on markdown, so I got lucky.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 10:44:26 PM »
We did this tonight. I accidentally left the mint in a bag that didn't end up in the refrigerator, so I just seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper and onion powder. Stuck the probe thermometer in, roasted it to 125, took it out and let it rest to 135.  It was perfect, tasty and juicy. I will definitely be keeping an eye on it at the store for the next time they mark it down.

Offline eragon

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 02:19:12 AM »
I love lamb, we like it pink in the middle but some like it well done.

I get a leg of lamb at easter, I love rosemary and garlic, and push fresh rosemary and garlic cloves in meat and slow cook. I make a fresh mint sauce which is easy.
 red current sauce goes well, as I am sure cranberry as it has a similar tartness that would go well with lamb.
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.