Nectresse and True Lemon

Started by twinturbo, March 28, 2014, 10:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinturbo

A few people have to balance LTFA w/other conditions requiring avoidance and management of diet.

I make a lemonade out of True Lemon packets and monk fruit sweetener (or stevia, depends). Usually I use the Splenda branded monk fruit sweetener. Please note that while Splenda is the brand it contains no sucralose in the monk fruit based Nectresse.

Well, DS1 wasn't paying attention and drank my lemonade. Surprise food challenge. I have noted that Turtle Mountain's So Delicious coconut cream bars in "light" use unbranded monk fruit sweetener, which he has eaten in the past when we could not find regular.

I would think most of the monk fruit extract is sourced from only one or two places, possibly imported then blended in proprietary mixes. There's one "in the raw" with turbonado. This is probably as much for bulking due to monk fruit's concentrated sweetness.

So, the summary is no artificial sweetener, minimal glycemic impact (bottle reads "free food" up to four servings and suitable for diabetic), label reads safe for top 8. DS1's main known allergen is peanut.

The True Lemon package reads safe for top 8, no sugars or carbs based on label, no artificial colors, flavors, label reads specifically gluten free, has added Vit C (25% RDA).

Monk fruit has been used for a long time in foods elsewhere. It may be part of a trend in USA, but like stevia, monk fruit (lo han guo) has been consumed for a very long time in other populations. I don't use a ton of monk fruit sweetener or stevia but in moderation like most things.

No advice, but these might work for some here. Since DS1 was kind enough to put it through a surprise challenge I thought I'd share.

twinturbo

Should mention haven't called or checked online. We've had it around the house for a year or two now.

maeve

So your PA allergic son had the Splenda brand of monk fruit sweetener and had no reaction?
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

twinturbo

Yes. He's had the lemon and lime packets on a regular basis different boxes since then. It's not that he can't have monk fruit but I'm not opposed to him having a light amount of cane sugar in lemonade.

http://www.nectresse.com/faq#Is-NECTRESSEâ„¢-Natural-No-Calorie-Sweetener-gluten-free?

I've been trying to get my father to use something else besides an obscene amount of sucralose. But back to DS1 he's had this brand version of monk fruit and in the So Delicious chocolate covered coconut milk bars, their light version has monk fruit sweetener.

http://www.truelemon.com We've only used the regular True Lemon and True Lime. Oh, goodness. They have a grapefruit! I never knew. I love grapefruit. I'll have to get that.

The only top 8 mentioned was soy. It was previously used in the old formula in small amounts. The non-top 8 that could be of concern is the mango-orange flavor it has real mango in it. Then XC issues if mango is a problem.

QuoteWhile our ingredient lines reflect our most current production, there will still be product in grocery stores that is older and, therefore, will have a slightly different ingredient line than stated on our website. Our older formulas did contain soy which was used in the crystallization process. Although only a minuscule amount of soy was used (to put it in perspective you would need to consume about 700 packets of True Lemon to equal 1 gram of soy), we still noted it since soy is an allergen. Our goal is to continue to improve all of our products so that they provide the freshest taste and the cleanest ingredient lines possible and our current ingredient line is reflective of our continuous quality improvement effort.

The only products that still do contain soy are True Orange, True Orange Mango, and our True Orange Ginger Spice Blend.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview