Jelly Belly - peanut free

Started by Irene, April 24, 2014, 02:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irene

This might not be new to you all but it was new to me.  I saw Jelly Belly jelly beans being sold at BJs and they were labeled as peanut free.  I was tempted to buy them but they only came in 5 lb bags :)

twinturbo

We use them for child who had no known tree nut issues. I buy from Jelly Belly directly for vareity and smaller bags.

Mookie86

Costco sells Jelly Belly, but it's dangerous to have them in large quantities!

rebekahc

Jelly Belly used to use peanut flour in their PB flavored bean.  I was glad when they became peanut free, but we usually stick to Gimball's since I think they taste much better.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Jessica

I agree that Gimbal's tastes a lot better. And it bugs the ever lovin' crap out of me that Jelly Belly makes themselves look so allergy friendly with their peanut free logo on the bag and does not make a single mention that they process tree nuts on the same lines.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Macabre

I'll buy JB sometimes. It's nice to have a regular treat. And I'm honestly grateful JB went PF. But we dance with the one that brung us--Gimbal's--most of the time. They have an amazing sour bag. Wowza. The EB used those. :yes:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

sneaker

I have ordered jelly beans from Divvies.  They are really good.  Amanda's Confections sells them too although I have not tried them yet from Amanda's.  Both are sold in small bags, much smaller than 5 lbs.

tigerlily

So I am always skeptical when I see PB-free. Usually, like Bob's Red Mill or Amy's frozen foods, there's tree nuts in the mix.

I decided to google for Jelly Belly & treenuts. Their tour info specially warns TN-allergic folks to be aware that TN-flours are used:

https://jellybelly.com/Info/visitjellybelly/jelly_belly_university

What medical restrictions should I be aware of?

People with severe food allergies to tree nuts, sugar and corn may want to avoid the floor tour, as there may be airborne tree nut, sugar and cornstarch particulates. Please be aware that this plant processes tree nuts. Portions of the tour will also expose guests to high temperatures; those sensitive to heat should be aware of this and plan accordingly. Persons with colds, coughs or other communicable illnesses may be asked to wear a facemask. Those who have trouble walking for extended periods, should consider the more than ΒΌ-mile length of the JBU tour and plan accordingly.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

Amy's Kitchen? I think it's walnuts and cashews too for their meatless patties.

hedgehog

I looked over JellyBelly's list of flavors.  The only TN one I can find is coconut.  I suppose its possible to use TN in a non-nutty flavor, but I am not sure why they would.  Could coconut be the only tree nut they use?
USA

twinturbo

IIRC they process other items such as almonds that are not part of the Jelly Belly brand or product line up.

Jessica

I emailed asking which tree nuts and they said walnut, pecan, cashew, and almonds.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

candyguru

The Jelly Belly jelly beans I see here (Shoppers Drug Mart, Carlton Cards, etc) say "Manufactured in Thailand".  I thought I read that the plant in Thailand only processes jelly beans.  I must email the company for details to see if the facility is peanut-free, nut-free, gluten-free, etc
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

twinturbo

That it is another reason why I order from the USA facility directly.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview