imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Can't find sulfites...?  (Read 7090 times)

Description:

Offline mountain2012

Can't find sulfites...?
« on: May 07, 2014, 09:00:38 PM »
Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I'm doing an elimination diet and it's time to challenge sulfites, which I suspect is the problem.  I can't find anything at the grocery store that contains sulfites.  There's plenty of stuff that contains sulfur dioxide, which is not a sulfite although people claim to react to it.

Can you please list some foods you've found that have sulfites so I might order them off the internet to complete my food challenge?

thanks!

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Can't find sulfites...?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 10:21:30 PM »
There's a thread stickied at the top of this section - list of foods containing sulfites - that and reading through threads in this section will probably have the information you want.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:57:03 AM »
If you suspect sulfites are a problem, you are already encountering issues when eating or drinking things big in them, right? 

Sulfites occur naturally in wine, but they are added, too. Us domestic wines tend to be higher in them than some imported wines and white tends to be worse than red.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 10:35:41 AM »
One more thing... If you don't know which foods contain sulfites, how have you been avoiding them?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 11:43:38 AM »
One more thing... If you don't know which foods contain sulfites, how have you been avoiding them?
As sulphites are in many common foods (and other items), I wondered this as well. 

I'll go back to snacking on my very brown dried apricots now... ;)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline mountain2012

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 09:03:19 PM »
If you suspect sulfites are a problem, you are already encountering issues when eating or drinking things big in them, right?
I have problem with grape juice, grape soda, champagne, and apple cider.  I suspect it's either sulfites or salicylates that are giving me stomach aches, constant nasal congestion and migraines.
I should have made it clear that I was looking for foods with added sulfites, not stuff that had them naturally occurring.  After much looking I found some maraschino cherries, onion-stuffed olives and tropical trail mix that all have sodium metabisulfite as an ingredient but do not have the "contains sulfites" label.  Can anyone explain this?  I ate them yesterday and today without any symptoms.  Guess it's on to the salicylate challenge!