FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 504 and School Districts TODAY  (Read 1990 times)

Description: new crop of parents struggling . . .

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
504 and School Districts TODAY
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:40:48 PM »
We -- the been-there-done-that parents of FAS (together now 15+ years) -- need to somehow be more accessible and helping to the new crop of parents of LTFA kids in schools.

Their struggles have some similarities to ours . . . sometimes easier . . . but oft times harder as the schools work to find loopholes or are still in complete denial as to the schools' legal (and moral) responsibilities.  There is also this really horrible and reprehensible tactic on the part of the schools of demonizing the parents of the LTFA kids as a way of controlling the parents and marginalizing them.

These are some of the things that keep me up at night, regardless of what my kids do or do not have as 504 accommodations.

These are some of the far-reaching civil rights issues that many of us at FAS have been particularly keen on addressing and rectifying.

Are there others here willing to step up, assist, and give of time to move this another giant leap forward?

WE WERE THERE AND VERY INSTRUMENTAL IN MAKING CHANGE SO FAR AS 504 FOR LTFA STUDENTS.
Let's see this continue forward . . . let's actively address some of the newer issues and challenges so far as 504.

. . . and maybe, do we now have teens and twenty-somethings ready to help carry the torch too?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline daisy madness

Re: 504 and School Districts TODAY
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 09:14:15 PM »
I definitely plan to stick around here and help where I can.  I have been given so much by the members here at FAS.  I am amazed by the level of concern you all have shown for my child.  I feel you're invested in my situation as much as I am. 

I'm trying to make an effort to check the school section of the forum regularly and post where I feel my advice will be helpful.

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 09:17:51 PM »
Thank you daisy!!

We -- the LTFA community and FAS -- need to keep the pressure on so that we don't backslide so far as civil rights and access. 

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »
So, in the past few weeks, I've had contact (off boards) with parents having serious 504 and LTFA-in-schools issues in the following states (and some others possibly):

New York
New Jersey
Connecticut
Texas
Illinois

Trying to understand if I'm seeing still-not-educated school districts or new push-back . . . likely both.

But it makes me very frustrated.

Still seems like 2-steps-forward-fall-on-your-back (intended that mutilation of that phrase)  .

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 02:47:06 PM »
So, today I counted at least 14 parents on FB posting about being refused a 504 in one way or another (outright refused or "steered" away).

What the heck?

A lot of the ol' "a health care plan will do" stuff and more of the mistaken belief (on part of staff / admin) that academics / education "must be affected" in order to qualify for 504.