FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Epi-pen and Auvi-Q carriers  (Read 11870 times)

Description:

Offline Bunny

Re: Epi-pen and Auvi-Q carriers
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 08:56:09 AM »
I believe if you go to the FAQs for the Buddy Pouch, they state that the smaller one will carry only one Auvi-Q, not two. 

DS currently uses a Spibelt to hold 2 Auvi-Q's or Epi pens.  But we might try the Fuel Belt.  Thanks for posting the link.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 03:29:40 PM »
kyle dine just posted on facebook showing a folding wallet type carrier.  looked convenient, goes in pocket like a billfold
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 04:29:02 PM »
I had seen it.  I think it had places for credit/debit cards as well.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 02:01:04 PM »
Saw a new carrier that looked interesting especially the small one for an auvi-q

http://buddypouch.com/

I just checked their website and they have a larger size now for epis or a larger phones.  Might have to try it.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 02:09:46 PM »
I never posted back here - the Flipbelt would work GREAT for Allerjects/Auvi-Qs (x2), EpiPens (x2), and smart phones.  It just didn't come small enough to fit me - boo!  I have that body type where nothing sits around my hips - they will always ride up to my natural waist which is tiny.  I may try to make one on my own to fit.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 06:48:27 PM »
I just order the Buddy Pouch 6+.  I'll report back once we've used it a little bit.

Space-  I think with your sewing skills, you should be able to make your own fitbelt or something similar.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 08:11:40 AM »
Buddy Pouch Review...it's mixed.

I think the concept is a good one, but needs some tweaking for holding 2 epi pens as well as sizing for kids.

It's about 7 inches long, when empty it's under an inch thick.

In theory, 2 epis will fit

There are two pockets, outer pocket is a thick stretchy mesh, inner pocket is non-stretchy material similar to what luggage is made from, back flap where magnets are is cover in almost a lycra like stretchy material. Magnets seem plenty strong

Two epis fit into the stretchy mesh pocket the best, but I worry that transferring them in and out frequently will tear/wear the fabric due to the cap and hinges of the epi flip top.

You can get two epis in the non stretchy pocket, but they have to go in diagonal so you empty spots at the corners.  It's a tight fit.

As for size for a child (DS is 10, he's not a big kid), it's just too big.  I think for the epis, a pocket that was designed to sit vertically might work better as well as for a child's waist.  If concealing the pouch is necessary, then this might not work for some.

We will keep it and use it for something else or maybe once DS gets older.  DH may find a use for it.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 08:49:27 AM »
We may have try the leg holster next. 

Looking for something that DS can wear and not have to take on and off when doing dryland for swim team.  They run outside, do push ups, sit ups, lunges, mountain climbers, etc.  It's in a public park and the loop they run can be anywhere from .3 to .6 miles which is not in direct view of the coach.  Then they often move to one of the open grassy areas for a game of some sort.  I worry that the epis will be left behind if he keeps taking them on and off.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 02:56:47 PM »
Hazzier, I can relate to your son's problem. Do any of his shorts have gel or key pockets? I find Allerjects fit in those pockets well enough and don't get in the way during workouts. I found. Let me know how the leg holster works if you try it.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline joanna5

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 10:49:02 PM »
My oldest just switched to the Auvi Q and the smaller Buddy Pouch just fits two of them along with his emergency plan.  The magnets are strong.  It is small, but it's kind of thick with the two Auvi Qs on top of each other.  The up side is that it looks like he's carrying a cell phone instead of meds, lol.  He likes it quite a bit.  We worried about storage because his SPI belt was hung on a hook on our door as a visual reminder when he leaves and to keep it out of reach of our youngest.  Turns out that the no belt was no issue since it's the door to our garage and is steel- it sticks right to it! 
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 05:40:47 AM »
I have to look into Auvi-q again.  I checked a while ago and they were not covered by our insurance.

Offline joanna5

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 09:48:08 AM »
Hezzier, yes, you should check. It wasn't covered by ours last year, but now is.  We have Express Scripts.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2016, 07:43:02 AM »
Back to this topic...DS's SPI belt needs to be replaced, lots of small rips from friction.  When he started self-carrying this year at school, he just put the spi belt with epis in his cargo shorts pocket.  Now that it's getting colder out, he wore cargo pants for the first time and the pocket is a slightly different size so they don't fit as well.  He needs new pants since last years are getting short, but in case I cant' find cargo pants that work, we need some other options.  Adding in that when he gets home from school, he attaches the spi belt to his swim backpack so it's visible on the outside.

I haven't ordered the leg holster yet, but think it might be a good solution to the cargo pocket issue and could be attached to the swim backpack.  Although, this would only be an option for him in the winter, he doesn't really want it to be visible all the time.

Does anyone have the waist pal?  My question is are the epis secured in there or is it just a tight fit?  My reason for asking is if we try to attach the waist pal to the swim backpack is there a possibility of the epi falling out of the holder?

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 07:34:43 AM »
Ordered and returned both the waist pal and leg holster.  Waist pal will not work for swim team dryland since he would have an epi sitting against his back...it also didn't fit well in terms of his body is not wide enough for it, would fit much better on a larger body (DS is in size 10/12 pants).  As for the leg holster, I'm not sure if we needed a bigger size...it almost didn't fit around his calf which is weird since again he is not a very big kid.  It was also quite bulky to pull a pant leg down over it. 

We ended up buying another spi belt.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 09:01:56 AM »
I never posted back here - the Flipbelt would work GREAT for Allerjects/Auvi-Qs (x2), EpiPens (x2), and smart phones.  It just didn't come small enough to fit me - boo!  I have that body type where nothing sits around my hips - they will always ride up to my natural waist which is tiny.  I may try to make one on my own to fit.

Did you ever make your own? Simple pattern you're willing to share?