Kellogg's Jif peanut butter cereal

Started by sneaker, July 23, 2014, 02:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sneaker

http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/kelloggs-jif-peanut-butter-cereal.html

Oh well, saw a new product, Kellogg's Jif peanut butter cereal.  It has other nuts on the ingredient list. 

Of course, Kellogg's can make anything they choose.  But I usually like their products and not happy to see this union of Kellogg's and Jif.  First, the nut pop tarts and now this.  I will continue to buy their other products but not happy with all the new nut products.

Jessica

I don't like seeing nut versions but the fact that they  make the pop tarts in a separate facility makes me think they are more allergy aware than most companies. They will label for shared lines for pn and tn.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

sneaker

I am going to keep buying Kellogg's other products because I do feel they are allergy aware.  I have always liked Kellogg's ingredient labeling.

rebekahc

FWIW, DS had a reaction to Kellogg's Special K bars which were labeled as safe.  The Great Value version of the same bars (so I can only assume it's probably made in the Kellogg's facility) was labeled may contain.  From then on, I don't trust things Kellogg's makes that come in a nut variety.  Their stance to me was: we use shared lines but think our cleaning processes are adequate so we won't usually label products made on shared lines as may contain.

IIRC, there was at least one other child here who had reacted to "safe" Kellogg's products.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

sneaker

Wow, Thank you for that info.  It is helpful.

CMdeux

Yeah-- here's what I've done, in detail--

Some STORE brands (okay-- Safeway, for a while, was like this) were more rigorous about XC labeling than many large manufacturers were, there for a bit.

So I would look at the weight and values on the nutritional labels to make VERY sure that I was looking at the exact same product, made by {insert large, well-known company here} and compare...

I quit blindly trusting Kellogg's at that point.  Nutrigrain bars, even, are a calculated risk IMO.  Special K bars are a no-no now, and I'm super glad that I saw that may contain label on the Safeway version, because wow, Kellogg's sure didn't mention it.

Oh, sure-- Sunshine and Keebler divisions are VERY good about labeling shared liines with nuts.  They actually are.  Kellogg's, though-- not so much.  They're about as good as General Mills.  IMO.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Jessica

Maybe this is recent but the kellogg's website says they will label for shared lines with peanut and tree nut. Not shared facilities though. Here's what it says:

We understand and share the concerns expressed by consumers who are affected by food allergies. Our Company has been one of the leaders in the food industry in devising manufacturing processes to reduce the risk of allergens from contaminating allergen-free products. We have worked extensively with allergy organizations, such as The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network and research groups, to communicate allergen information and keep updated on allergen issues.
Peanuts, tree nuts, egg, cow's milk, wheat, soybean, fish, and shellfish account for 90% of food allergies in the US. These allergen ingredients are required to be labeled on food products when they are present as an ingredient. On our products the side panel provides an allergy box which is located below the ingredient statement. The allergen box clearly states the top 8 allergens contained inside each package. We encourage consumers with food allergies to check the ingredient statement on each package for the most current ingredient information because product formulations can change at anytime. If the allergen in concern is not listed below the ingredient statement, we are confident that the product is safe for consumption. Please trust the labeling.

We do use a may contain statement for peanuts and tree nuts when the product is produced on a line that shares equipment with another product that does contain peanuts or tree nuts. Scientific evidence has shown that consumers with peanut and tree nut allergies can have a severe reaction to amounts that are below the current detectable limits based on existing technology. For this reason, we have chosen to warn consumers allergic to peanuts and tree nuts of the potential for extremely low levels by using a may contain statement. The equipment is thoroughly cleaned in between processes and we follow Good Manufacturing Practices in all of our facilities.

Beyond the top eight allergens, all ingredients are declared within the ingredient statement. If you are concerned about a specific ingredient, please review the ingredient statement to determine if it is part of the product formulation.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

CMdeux

It's about what KEEBLER has stated for a good many years.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview