FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Parents dot Com article Sept 2014  (Read 2464 times)

Description: "The New Rules for Food Allergies"

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Parents dot Com article Sept 2014
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:44:37 AM »
http://www.parents.com/health/allergies/food/news-on-food-allergies/

I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, as this article has some pretty decent info and advice.

HOWEVER, I was very aggravated with this section:

NEW RULE: Stand up for your child's rights at school. Once there's a diagnosis, the doc should write an emergency-care plan: instructions on how to avoid allergens and how to handle a reaction. Give a copy to the school nurse with the epinephrine, says Mitchell. "The nurse will be your point person for organizing a meeting that includes you, your child's teachers, and the head of the cafeteria to go over what precautions are already taken, such as cleaning cafeteria surfaces, and what additional measures are needed to protect your own child." (No school nurse? Start with your principal.) If the school's response falls short in any way, Mitchell recommends asking for another meeting to request a 504 evaluation. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 requires that no child with a disability be prevented from participating fully at school (public or private). A 504 Plan can document more detailed expectations for the school, often including procedures for handling food in the classroom, not just the cafeteria.

Ital & bold mine for emphasis.

Again, only go for the 504 if/when things don't go right?

Let's just revisit that old "NOT HAVING A 504 DOES A DISSERVICE for EVERYONE" discussion
and the fact that the child has rights that even the parent may not violate.

TYVM.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:13:31 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline LinksEtc

The New Rules for Food Allergies - Parents.com article
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:10:14 PM »
Tweeted by @kfatweets

"The New Rules for Food Allergies"
http://www.parents.com/health/allergies/food/news-on-food-allergies/?page=1

A big mistake even savvy parents make is waiting too long to administer epinephrine when they suspect an allergic reaction. Anaphylaxis can kill within minutes. "If a child has more than one symptom, for example vomiting and hives, or any breathing problems at all, or you're just worried enough to consider using epinephrine, use it," says Dr. Sampson. Any side effects are minimal -- nausea, increased heart rate, headache -- and are no worse for children who turn out not to have an allergy.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: The New Rules for Food Allergies - Parents.com article
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 09:15:21 PM »
Yup.

This is what we've been (as a community) saying for years here at FAS:

If you're WONDERING if Epi is the right thing during a suspected allergic reaction?   Then-- YES.  It is.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »
My apologies to Ajas ... feel free to merge with the thread in main that she started.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Re: Parents dot Com article Sept 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 03:14:52 PM »
Did my first "merge" of threads in many months -- hope I didn't screw this up!  No apology needed.

I left it in Main where I had originally started -- it could be in Allergy News too . . . I was going for most traffic when I set it up (though I guess then I should have started it in OffTopic, LOL!)
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 07:52:35 AM »
If you're WONDERING if Epi is the right thing during a suspected allergic reaction?   Then-- YES.  It is.

This may become my new catch phrase and sig line.  I like my sig line, so I'm going to think about it....but I may switch.