login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: "When a School Tries to Split Up Epinephrine Auto Injectors"  (Read 1664 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

Tweeted by @NutFreeWok

"When a School Tries to Split Up Epinephrine Auto Injectors"

http://ohmahdeehness.wordpress.com/2014/08/24/when-a-school-tries-to-split-up-epinephrine-auto-injectors/

“[They] promptly took out the [EpiPens] and split the two pack and handed one back to me. I kind of had a mini-meltdown [...] I said what are you doing? You’re not supposed to split a two-pack. She told me that was [District] policy.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: "When a School Tries to Split Up Epinephrine Auto Injectors"
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 09:13:52 PM »
Hmmm... well, actually, we DO split twinpacks.

Of course we do it so that nobody is EVER carrying two of the same lot number, just in case of manufacturing defects associated with a particular lot, but hey....

;)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »
We split them up too.   What a funny thing. 

The issue is not that they split them but that only a nurse could give a second dose.
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »
"Dangerous: Splitting Up EPI Packs at School"

http://www.gratefulfoodie.com/dangerous-splitting-epi-packs-school/

Old policy stated that nurses or aides could only administer one dose of epinephrine auto-injection.  This policy was updated to reflect current Centers For Disease Control (CDC) guidelines and was included in our Nevada Mandated stock epinephrine law.

-----------------------------------------------

I also mix the lots sometimes, but I always have 2  :)  .... from the very beginning when dd was 1st diagnosed, our allergist told us she should always have 2 with her at all times.   :thumbsup: