Virus hitting kids in the midwest hard

Started by hezzier, September 07, 2014, 08:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catelyn

Add Helga to the list.

I'm so sick, my throat is killing me.  I'm more worried about my little guy than her. 

From reading, its my understanding that they aren't even 100% positive WHAT it is.  If that is the case, swabbing is useless.

Hoping she just has a cold. 

GingerPye

on our local news, it was stated that this is a virus they are not required to report, so most likely drs will not resort to swabbing and testing for it.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

momma2boys

Has anyone heard age specifics? Is it hitting mostly younger children or all ages?
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

maeve

Quote from: Macabre on September 09, 2014, 02:50:45 PM
It's in NoVa.

I'm guessing it's actually most everywhere.

Have I posted how comforted I am by the fact that we have a Nebby and Epi?  There are two time in the last few years I almost epid myself during bronchitis (one was was the result of H1N1) when I could barely breathe. (I used to get Epi for bad asthma attacks in the ER as a child--at least once a year).

There are no reports (yet) in the DC suburbs (Northern Virginia).  It has been reported in Richmond; ten children have been hospitalized.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Macabre

Ah--you know I may have imagined NoVa. I'm not used to seeing things about the rest of the state much except from friends in our former town. :hiding:

Momma I've heard several times that the majority of cases are though age 16. But I'm pretty sure you don't get immunity the minute you turn 17. :)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

hezzier

Stole this from FB...

There has been a lot of discussion in the last few days regarding the virus called Enterovirus D68. Dr. Klingler, Pediatrician at the CCH Medical Clinic, offers this important information: Enterovirus D68, or EV-D68, usually causes mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms that include cough, fever, rash, and in some cases difficulty breathing. There is no specific treatment or anti-viral medication available. There is also no vaccination for EV-D68. According to the Illinois Department of Public Health, "The age of ill persons in two of the hospitals with confirmed EV-D68 in Missouri and Illinois ranged from six weeks to 16 years, with a median of 4 to 5 1/2 years, respectively." Some ways to lower the risk of infection include washing hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds; avoid hugging , kissing, and sharing cups or eating utensils with people who are ill; disinfect often-touched surfaces such as toys and doorknobs; and keeping kids home if they are ill. If your child develops cold symptoms it is important to treat the symptoms as you normally would and monitor closely. If your child develops wheezing, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, they should be seen by their healthcare provider. If your child does become distressed, please call 911. Thank you.

ajasfolks2

Just wanted to update that my kids are both MUCH better . . . there was no rash for either kid.  We did not feel need to get medical care.

But there is this virus (whatever it is) going around this area and the rate of absence from schools is pretty high right now.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

becca

Glad your kids are on the mend ajas.

I dont know what it is, but dd came home with a bad cold after we were in NY, over Labor Day weekend.  She says now many kids are sick in her classes.  she wonders if she spread it.  she seemed ot catch it frim her cousin who was sick.  Very sore throat, and had a cough that turned productive and loads of head congestion.  She is mostly over it now, but still a little residual congestion in her head and ches.  It was a very bad cold.  No fever, but we rarely get fevers, me or the kids.

But, I do not see anything about the Enterovirus D68 in our area yet.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

my3guys

becca, I could've have just typed your post. One DS has an absolutely horrible (was up half the night from congestion) cold. Said his whole class has it...He's home today.

I called the pediatrician because we're supposed to see our niece this weekend and if it's that virus I don't think she should be around it due to her limited lung functioning.  They told me it's in our state (although I haven't seen it published anywhere), bring him in if he's wheezing. No wheezing yet.

becca

I hope your ds feels better soon.  :(
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Bunny

ajasfolks2

If what I have is the same thing my kids had 2 weeks ago, then I'd like it to be over soon too.

I've not been this sick in years:

fever for 3 days (though seems to be breaking today)
worst cough ever!!  (my abs are killing me from this cough)

I'm hoping I have what my kids had and this is not a NEW thing that will have to make the rounds in this household.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

LinksEtc

"New Jersey Boy's Death Is First Linked Directly to Enterovirus"
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2014/10/05/us/05reuters-usa-illness-children.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes

QuoteA New Jersey boy who went to bed last month in seemingly good health and died in his sleep is the first fatality linked directly to a strain of enterovirus that has infected more than 500 people, a local medical official said on Sunday.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview