FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Today show segment today  (Read 1392 times)

Description: Spet 8, 2014

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Today show segment today
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:16:28 AM »
OK, just make me scream this morning!!
Of course, no mention of 504 . . . just a "mother-may-I and pretty-please" approach, to include suggestion that the parents should supply the good-ol-safe-treat-box.

I am going to go scream.

Today show segment and posted "help" for parents as to Food Allergies in School:

http://www.today.com/health/how-keep-child-food-allergies-safe-school-1D80134018?cid=sm_t_main_1_20140908_31210166

Back-to-school time means extra worry for parents whose children have food allergies.

About one in 13 children suffers from the problem, which translates into roughly two kids in every classroom.

Although the human body can have a reaction to almost any food, the biggest culprits are peanuts, tree nuts such as almonds and walnuts, seafood, eggs, dairy, wheat and soy.

More than 200 people die from allergic reactions to food found in most family kitchens each year, but many parents whose children don't have food allergies don't understand the severity of the problem.

If your child has a food allergy, here are a few ways to make sure they stay as safe at school as at home:
•Inform the teachers and the school nurse about your child’s allergies. Make sure they understand the severity of problem: Be specific and accurate because the spectrum is broad.

•Talk to the cafeteria supervisor to see what accommodations can be made.

•Have an allergy plan on file at the school in case of an emergency.

•Teach your child age-appropriate facts about their allergies and that they should not share snacks with other children.

•Provide some non-perishable snacks — such as bags of popcorn, baked potato chips or a pack of licorice — for your child to keep at school, at the teacher’s desk, or the main office. That way if there is an unplanned celebration, your child will have easy access to treats, not just "healthy" options if the other kids in the class are having treat foods.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!