Running x-country with an Epi

Started by brownie, June 13, 2014, 01:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownie

There must be a post about this but I can't find it because the term "running" is used for "running around", etc...  DS is going to start running X-country on Tuesday.  He has always worn 2 epis in a fanny pack, along with his cell phone and benadryl.  This won't work for X-country...it bounces way too much but I want him to at least have 1 epi on him while away from his "stuff".  He obviously won't be eating while running but you never know...my younger ds has reacted to a walnut tree and we always carry. 

Any thoughts for a 13 year old boy who is running?  I guess auvi-q would be a simpler option, but still...it could bounce right out of his shorts pocket.  They must make something for runners to wear their wallets, key, etc...?

Thanks! Brownie
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

brownie

Ooh - cool.  On the arm.  I'll ask him what he thinks.  I did some searching on Amazon and really didn't find much.  I'm guessing the ones traditionally for runners aren't long enough since they are intended for phones, keys, and cash.  Without seeing them in person, it's hard to know.

To get through next week I decided I would sew something onto his shorts waistband to hold one epi.  Then it won't bounce all around and it won't be glaringly obvious either.

Brownie

hedgehog

This is made specifically for runners, and it does fit an epipen.  We had one, but not sure where it went.  I think DD may have brought it to school with her, and she is not unpacking much if her stuff, so knows which box it may be in.

http://www.amphipod.com/products/holders/day-of-race/airflow-microstretch-belt
USA

tigerlily

http://www.spibelt.com/products/spibelt/the-original-spibelt

Spibelt--love it! There's the original. We opted for the pouch and put that on a thick webbing belt for day-to-day use. DS is not a long distance runner though he is very active and this has worked well for him. I ran XC and don't think I'd have an issue with the weight and belt--plus it is sold in our running stores. I'll include a photo with our setup if interested. Anyhow, Spibelt sold in sports stores and widespread use for non-Epis. Their FB page shows all sorts of uses. Rarely is an Epi ever mentioned.

I'd have my kid just tote the single Epi. One wouldn't slow someone down much. Can the second unit + benadryl be with coach?
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

brownie

Great! Lots of options.  I will go over them with my son and order one.  I am cool with him wearing 1 and leaving the other back with his stuff.  Not statistically likely to have a rxn while running since he's only had one definite rxn in 12 years post-diagnosis and it was immediate, so I'm willing to compromise :)
Brownie

spacecanada

I run.  A lot.  Like 50+ km a week, at least.  So far, the SPIbelt is the best for carrying EpiPens and other random assorted items.  I love it and recommend it to all runners.  Get the kids' size if your waist is 25" or less.  Mine is the adult one and I have to make the waistband smaller to stay snug (on a 25" waist).

Otherwise, for Allerject/Auvi-Q, I am fortunate enough that lululemon has started adding two pockets in to the waistband of most of their running gear for gels and keys and whatever.  They are the perfect size pockets for storing two Allerjects!  They fit in there nicely and don't get in the way or rub the wrong way when I run.  Yes, this was enough of a feature in their running shorts/pants/leggings/crops to get me to buy their brand over others.  (Plus, they fit me better.)  I have skirts and other things from them with the two pockets too - perfect for everyday wear for me to carry the Allerjects.  Anyway, I wonder if their men's running shorts have the dual waistband pockets too.  They have a kids' line but it's under another brand name, starting with an I, but don't remember.  (Google kids' lululemon)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

brownie

We ended up with a Nike running belt at Dicks Sporting Goods for $20.  It is PLENTY big...expands to hold 2 epis, a mint tin with his benadryls in it and his phone and keys.  Now he's using it for every day at school because it usually isn't noticeable under a sweatshirt (he took the phone out).
Brownie

hezzier

I do not  like the spi belt for running, it's too bouncy.

I posted pictures of the fuel belt in this thread:

Epi-pen and Auvi-Q carriers

It fits flat against the back with less bounce. Easy to wear under a shirt

SilverLining

I like the look of the flip belt. But ds does not want to try anything new.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview