wow school is lucky we don't need 504 anymore

Started by Mfamom, September 19, 2014, 05:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfamom

so, remember when ds entered hs and they were so hostile etc with the 504? 
it has been in place since 10/2012.  Last year, i signed off that nothing had changed and received an updated copy noting staff changes etc.
DS outgrew his allergy, but I wanted to see how things went before addressing it with school. 
Today, I got THIS letter:
Your child was granted 504 status on october 23, 2012, on the basis of a medical diagnosis to assist with his high school education.  However, we do not have a current physiucian's note to suppport the continuation of 504 accommodations.  Therefore, he is no longer eligible for 504 services and the 504 accommodations have been terminated. 
If you have further concerns, please feel free to contact this committee or XX's guidance counselor.

LOL  so ignorant/so wrong on so many levels.  I may call her just to have fun "schooling" her.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

CMdeux

Sooooo... you're saying that you might have further concerns, basically?

:evil: :bonking: :watch:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Mfamom

After I read it, I sat here thinking OMG, what battle would be in front of me if he still needed the accommodation!   Then I stated thinking how wrong it is and kept thinking "they can't do that"!  Next, I went on a grammar binge with dh and he told me to let out go, it's behind us....but I think I'll still call and see if she's up to hearing me, in case she ever decides to pull that bs with someone else

Committee Member Hermes

Janelle205

Man.  If it really was the presence of a doctor's note that made you disabled and not, you know, the actual disability...

ajasfolks2

Policy and procedure dictate that there should have been at least the following:

1.  Notification to you of need for 504 eligibility meeting.
2.  Date set for meeting & written notification to parents of date.
3.  504 eligibility meeting to determine if still have qualifying condition.
4.  If no qualifying condition, then official paperwork stating no longer qualified for 504 -- signed by the "team of knowledgeable persons" in attendance at the meeting.

Yes, would have been bigger violation had there still been qualifying condition. 

However, they seem to have had "some sort of meeting" or "eligibility determination" without NOTIFYING YOU ahead of time.  Big.fat.violation.

Yes, maybe these are "formalities" in school's eyes.  But, there are policies and procedures to follow as dictated by Section 504 and the state and district's written policy.  Above all, the rights of the child/student should have been paramount.

Rules don't seem to mean much to your school, except when they benefit the school, KWIM?

"Let if go" could be just as simple as a polite but firm letter as to how this should have gone.  Ahem.  Just to "help them out" on the record.   :paddle:
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

ajasfolks2

((Mfamom -- I know you know all this stuff.  But I'm putting it in plain steps for any other parent who might read this and not quite understand . . . ))

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Mfamom

Hi ajas that's why I posted it, thought could be a good learning point.  He's had a 504 plan since third grade and now big bully hs thinks they can just cancel it.   Unbelievable

Committee Member Hermes

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview